What's new

Any news on new monster legacy dvds from Universal as in busts with the next set? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Has anyone heard yet about a gift set for the second wave of Universal's Monster Legacy Sets (Mummy, Invisible Man, Creature From the Black Lagoon)? I am holding off purchasing anything until I see the gift set announced complete with sculptures.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Eric,
I don't believe there has been any indication, as yet, that there will be a gift set for wave 2:frowning: I was really hoping for a matching set of busts for these new sets but I'm not holding my breath. Given the popularity of the first gift set one would assume that the second wave would also be available in this form. Who knows?...there could still be an annoucement of a gift set at some point.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I still love the idea of the Invisible Man bust being an empty pedestal!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
While I would love a second bust set, really only the Creature from the Black Lagoon is in the same league, as far as being an icon, as Dracula, Frankenstien, and the Wolf Man.

Frankly, the Bride of Frankenstein is more iconic than either the invisible man or the mummy and she doesn't have the bust she deserves.

This is the kind of thing I wish they would just let Sideshow do to so we would have matches for the first set, even if we had to buy them independantly of the DVDs themselves.

Charles H

Screenwriter
It seems to me that the Mummy with bandages would look too similar to the Invisible Man with bandages (unless, of course, it's an empty pedastal) and even the scales on The Creature from the Black Lagoon. It certainly wouldn't look as distinctive as Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolf Man from the first collection.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Yes, the Mummy and the Invisible Man would look somewhat simular if you are only comparing "bandages" except the Mummy had that cocked head and ratty dirty bandages as opposed to the IM's new white tight bandages, straight posture, no mouth opening, glasses, and hat. The creature would be green and gold (from what I remember) so would stand out! All three would be distinctive enough that you would know what you were looking at just like you would be able to tell who's who between movies!

Eric

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
According to Sideshow who did the busts, they haven't done any for these films. So I don't think we're going to be seeing a Boxset with the three films and busts. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i've seen liscenced mini busts for these characters in stores before.
in fact, i never thought the last wave of busts were 'unique', since those were also available prior to the box set.

i don't know if Sideshow did the earlier busts i saw, but they looked damn near identical- and yes, the mummy was Karloffs shriveld face.

on second thought, i may not have seen a mini bust for the invisible man (no, i'm not being a wise ass), but i definitely saw one for the Creature and the Mummy.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
You may be thinking of the "little big head" busts that Sideshow did a few years back... they were significantly smaller than the recent busts, and nowhere near as elaborate. I own both, by the way, and they share the same shelf space. :D

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I've done quite a bit of searching. I take it the new Monster DVD's will NOT be released in a set like the last round?

Thanks,

Jason

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If they don't do a busts set, they could at least offer a box set with the 3 collections.

In fact, it would be nice if they offered a slipcased box with all 6 collections.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I hope both "The Invisible Man"(1933) and "Creature from the Black Lagoon" will have new transfers.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Agreed. The old video transfer for The Invisible Man is simply awful.

Although, I doubt Universal will do it. They didn't remaster Dracula, which looked almost as bad.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Let's have a Legacy set containing all the Universal HAMMER FILMS in OAR: BRIDES OF DRACULA; CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF; THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA; PARANOIAC; NIGHTMARE; EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, etc. I'd even be cool if these were divided into two sets with 3-4 films each. But let's just get these out!!!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Universal and believe they'll be getting to the Hammer films, as well as all the remaining Universal classics. They seem to be releasing all sorts of collections - Universal Monsters, Ma and Pa Kettle, Francis the Talking Mule, Hope and Crosby, WC Fields, Marx Brothers....

As for their old copy of THE INVISIBLE MAN, it is indeed a weak print for such a great film. It's a damn shame the studio doesn't go for full restoration on some of these important titles - especially the real "gems" of their 30s flicks like DRACULA, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE OLD DARK HOUSE, THE INVISIBLE MAN, etc...

A lot of times people will say, "well, this is an old film so what do you expect?" but that's just not the case. There are plenty of movies from the 30s and 40s that look great on DVD; it just depends on how far the studios are willing to take them. And these early horror classics deserve it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Wow, I thought Creature was a stunner (Don't have The Invisible Man). What'd you think was wrong with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks