Any News on MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY 1962?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken Koc, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Has there been any news on the release date for MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY 1962 version? That is one release I have been very much looking forward to this year.
    Hopefully it will also be in HD......maybe Warners will release other recently restored 65mm camera negative films such as RYANS DAUGHTER and GRAND PRIX in HD too.
    Will there be a Brando boxset associated with "Mutiny"?

2. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    It was wonderful seeing MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY in 70mm. I still recall it so well especially as it was one of the sharpest films I had ever seen. I still have the excellent souvenir brochure. It would be good if Warner Bros could inlude a facsimile of it with the DVD.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

should be mid October.
    the HD DVD was on the schedule, but given how sparse Warner HDs have been over the summer, so much is pushed back already that I don't know when they will catch up to their day and date catalog intentions.

hopefully by the time the Superman movies come out- at the very least. I was prepared to exercise a little patience with the format, but I've become a bit disappointed with Warners output so far. This summers releases have been much weaker, and much less in general than I had been expecting.

Hopefully the Mutiny disc will be worth the wait (as will The Searchers, Dirty Dozen, 2001, etc etc)

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

October would be good. What about the Kubrick SEs?

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

It just seems strange that there are November announcements but still no "Bounty".

6. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

Popped over to Turner Classic Movies to look at the database and for the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty, it said "Title Not Currently Scheduled" and you can vote to have it released on home video. It's currently 150 on TCM's List of Not-On-Home-Video. Will it do any good? *shrugs* Maybe. Can't hurt.

7. Andreas Wagner

It is coming!

From a recent interview with Warner's George Feltenstein:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amazon.com: Can you give us a preview of what we can expect on DVD later in 2006?

George Feltenstein: Sure, we've got some really terrific things coming for the rest of this year, things that have never been on DVD before, things that we haven't announced formally but we did let people know they'd be coming at a press conference at the beginning in the year, like the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard, which was an enormously expensive restoration job for us because it was 65 mm negative which was very expensive and very difficult to work with.

Source: www.amazon.com

8. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Thats why I was wondering why there still has not been an announcement yet.

9. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

I know they filmed a part of the documentry already to accompany the movie........it was fimed in Nova Scotia last April (about the actual building of the Bounty)......so I imagine this is getting close to being released.

10. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I see on various web sites that it has a release date of 11/07/2006. The aspect ratio is listed as 2.35 or 2.40 depending on the site. Not much of a difference but Ultra Panavision was 2.76. Battle of The Bulge and The Greatest Story Ever Told are 2.76 on their DVD's. According to Marty Hart on his Widescreen Museum web site - "Mutiny on the Bounty would also have the distinction of being the last Ultra Panavision 70 film to be shown using anamorphic prints and the full 2.76:1 screen ratio"

11. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    MUTINY showed up in HD on the HDMN recently in the 2.76:1 aspect ratio. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same transfer they use when it goes to HD-DVD or Blue Ray.

12. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    dvdtimes says "New digital transfer from restored Ultra-Panavision 65mm elements". So, maybe it will be 2.76:1.

13. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

I'm just in the middle of watching Mutiny and since my screen is 2:35 and judging by the black bars still evident I have no doubt is is indeed 2:76 - that is assuming nothing has been cropped etc. By the way, the film score sounds great in the new 5.1 mix - highs are a bit bright but still, it's a rousing number! I bought the Brando boxset but am still planning on buying the HD version. So far this dvd looks pretty good just the same - upscaled on a Toshiba HD XA1.

14. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

Brent is this out now??........it thought it wasn't coming out until Tuesday......?

15. Brent Avery

Yes, your correct on that! I get a fair number of releases somewhat early where I buy them from, sometimes I forget that most wiil not get a chance until the official release day. As I mentioned though, the film itself does look quite good - the Super Panavision really gives sweeping views. I'm just glad I went with a 2:35 screen - I kind of feel sorry for those with a 16x9 setup as those black bars will certainly be apparent. Two of the features I watched were very informative and entertaining. It was mentioned that they had to build the Bounty a bit longer and wider to accomadate the camera for some shots which weighed over 500 lbs. and that they had intended to actually burn the ship, fortunately they built a 40 ft. model instead. One is about the ship as it is today and the other a period piece that followed the ship from Vancouver, B.C. down to San Francisco to promote the film. I definitely prefer this version despite it's historical and character shortcomings deviating from fact - the scenery, music and acting just come together much better - at least for me. Oh, and they split the movie over 2 discs.

16. mike--

mike-- Stunt Coordinator

Where do you get these?.........im in the US, in Connecticut.Anywhere near there?

17. Brent Avery

I live in Vancouver, B.C. - unfortunatley on the west coast of Canada. Although they do ship items out via their internet site it wouldn't really make much difference for yourself. The good news is you only have 3 days to go.

18. Jeff>K>B

Jeff>K>B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Brent, I'm in Vancouver too. Could you please tell me where you buy your DVDs - PM me if you prefer. Thanks. Jeff

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I have my review copy of the HD DVD in hand; review to follow in the next day or two.

20. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille

Just a correction. MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY was filmed in Ultra Panavision. The 70mm release print had an aspect ratio of 2.76:1.