Any news on more Universal Classic Monsters?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Brown, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Anyone know when Universal is planning a further release? I really want "Revenge of the Creature", "House of Dracula", "The Creature walks among us", released. Not to mention all the other titles in the collection.

Todd

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Todd,

I know someone who works for Universal and he says that a new batch of horror DVD's are very likely next fall, though there is nothing definite right now. Also up in the air right now are the films to be released. If I were a betting man I'd say THE BLACK CAT, THE RAVEN, HOUSE OF DRACULA and possibly some of the INVISIBLE MAN and CREATURE sequels.

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Oh please oh please! I've wanted the Invisible Man sequels more than any of them with the obvious exception off Bride of Frankie. The Ravan would be awesome too.

Thanks for the insight Larry. Any idea of a chance for a box set for the double features?

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Ben,

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any plans for a Double Feature boxset, but you never know. Perhaps a box will come out when some other new titles are released next fall. As far as INVISIBLE Features are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw double feature discs with THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS and THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE paired, and THE INVISIBLE WOMAN teamed up with THE INVISIBLE AGENT. I would also like to see a double feature disc of MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and ISLAND OF LOST SOULS.

One other thing: IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, originally planned as part of the "Monster" series, will be released this May with a documentary by David Skal and a commentary by Tom Weaver.

5. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm hoping for:
    Black Cat/Raven
    &
    Island of Lost Souls/Murders in the Rue Morgue
    Definate buys if they come out.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'd pick up most of these titles. However, the one I'm most looking forward to is Freaks. Not a Universal title I know, but I hope it gets released soon.

7. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    About 25 years ago, at the Rialto Theater in Pasadena, I saw "It Came from Outer Space" in 3-D(a double feature with "House of Wax")! It was shown just like it was when it premiered during the 50's. During one scene, I turned to my young son to get to stop talking and when I turned around, I saw a popcorn box come flying right at my face...I let out a holler...it was the bolt of light shot at Carlson from his girlfriend(monster) in the cave! That, my friends, was REAL 3-D.
    One last note, during "House of Wax", one scene scared the crap out of me. During a fight scene, someguy jumps right up from the seat in front of us and onto the screen...Charles Bronson knocked down and getting back up...that, my freinds, was REAL 3-D!...oh yeah, those paddle balls almost hitting your face and your ears!!! [​IMG]
    I wish they could try and reproduce that thrill on DVD...wishful thinking?

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input Larry. [​IMG]

9. James Alexis

James Alexis Agent

I'm really hoping for the following:

Murders in the Rue Morgue

Islands of Lost Souls

Man Made Monster

The Raven

The Black Cat

House of Dracula

Revenge of the Creature

The Creature Walks Among Us

Incredible Shrinking Man

Tarantula

Not sure there's much more worth releasing - certainly The Invisible Man sequels don't warrent it.

10. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

THE BLACK CAT is such a fun movie- I can't wait for a DVD version. The time compressed LD was of only passable quality- hopefully a new transfer will clean up the problems.

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Actually, while Universal paired ISLAND OF LOST SOULS with MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE on LD, I think a far better double-feature DVD would be ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and MURDERS IN THE ZOO (which was released by Universal on VHS, but not LD). Both were originally made by Paramount in 1933, feature memorable menagerie-oriented madmen (Charles Laughton & Lionel Atwill), and co-star the exotic Kathleen Burke. MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE could be easily teamed with another Universal flick that also has Bela Lugosi in it, like THE INVISIBLE RAY.
    I also hope this Fall will bring us THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, THE BLACK CAT/THE RAVEN, TARANTULA/THE DEADLY MANTIS, the two CREATURE sequels, and BRIDES OF DRACULA/CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF on Region 1 DVD.
    Great to read that IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (formerly a (wretch!) Divx title!) is coming even sooner, with commentary (by Tom Weaver) and the David Skal documentary, which were done back in '99, as this was going to be released in the first batch of Classic Monsters DVDs.