any news on Joan of Arcadia??

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by John_Dee, Jun 17, 2004.

1. John_Dee

John_Dee Extra

This show is not really anything like all the other programmes I like but I asolutely love it, and I'm jut wondering has anyone heard any news or rumours about a release of season 1?

2. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

I haven't heard any rumors... but I agree with you this is a wonderful show.

sign me up for the Complete First Season of Joan on DVD when it comes out...

[​IMG]

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Would be nice to have it around the time season 2 starts airing.

4. Ben Silva

Ben Silva Stunt Coordinator

Seeing as it was nominated for a Best Drama Series Emmy, I it will be on DVD sooner rather than later.

5. Martin_C

Martin_C Stunt Coordinator

Count me in.

But Music could be an issue here. I hope they have taken a DVD release into consideration, when they bought the rights.

Well. I would be assuming they did, but you never know.

6. John*P

John*P Second Unit

I've never seen the show, but would definitely buy Season 1 blind...

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Joan of Arcadia is one of those shows with a brief ad for featured musicians at the end, so hopefully if they haven't licensed the music already, they at least have a good relationship with the musicians.

8. Natalie F

Natalie F Stunt Coordinator

In this day and age of TV on DVD, I don't think any new show wouldn't have the foresight to include licensing the music for release on DVD. It would be the most ridiculous thing ever.

I wish they'd release it on DVD before the second season. It makes sense to give it to the fans to re-watch, and to get people to blind buy, and then start watching the series on TV.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

You'd think that, but Wonderfalls didn't pre-license their music and that was also just last season.

10. Martin_C

Martin_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dan. That's the example I was searching for.

I doubt that they didn't take a DVD release for Wonderfalls into consideration, seeing as cult shows like these are doing well in DVD and the folks that were involved in this show. I guess it was probably a budget-based decision they were forced to make. "Do we get this song, that might appeal to a broad number of viewers/fits better to the scene or do we use this unsigned artist, so we can also put it on a DVD (for the same price)." You know, simplified.

But, on the subject, Joan of Arcadia features a lot of music but doesn't rely heavily on the music. I only remember a couple of scenes were the music really was "part" of the scene and made it that much better. The generic underlying mainstream pop-tracks could easily be replaced.

11. Natalie F

Hmmm. Well that is the most ridiculous thing ever, then.

12. Roni F

Roni F Stunt Coordinator

Great news! JoA creator Barbara Hall says the S1 DVD's on the way! Her comments on the DVD are below. The full interview is at the Moonlight Strangers website (a Moonlighting fansite; Barbara was a writer on the show). Sorry I can't post the link, but I don't have the required number of posts here yet.

CT: Are there any plans for the 1st season of Joan of Arcadia to be released on DVD?

BH: Yes. That’s in the works right now.

JC: The fans will be very happy to hear that. That’s a very popular question on all the Joan of Arcadia message boards.

BH: Well, I tried to get the DVD and the CD to come out last year but there were rights issues and I think that they have finally gotten sorted out. But that’s going to happen.

CT: Are there going to be any extras like commentary?

BH: Oh yeah. We were just talking about that yesterday, about what we wanted the extra bonus material to be, so there will some things from the actors and then we’ll do a commentary.

13. Natalie F

Yes! I haven't seen most of the first season (since they stopped showing it here after the first 9 episodes), so this will be good. Now I won't have to *ahem* 'acquire' S1 and just focus on S2. My hard drive is grateful.

Hopefully it will be in widescreen, too. I don't know if I'd purchase a fullscreen copy.

14. SharonH.

SharonH. Auditioning

The show is terrific and I cannot wait for the new season. Tomorrow night yes?

15. DianaM

DianaM Agent

I was one of the people who interviewed Barbara Hall. Just go to moonlighting21.com and click on Special Interview.

She does confirm that 1st season dvds are in the works.

Diana

16. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

17. Natalie F

But now things are looking up:

TV Shows On DVD:

Woo! I can't wait to buy this.