What's new

Any news on Grease S.E? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess I'll buy it regardless, as I never got the original edition. I'm hoping for a great transfer, though. I would also like to see the Coke sign restored, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's true to the original theatrical release as it is.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I just really want a cleaner transfer or I'll just stick with my current 2002 dvd release. I'm just not a big extra's junkie although I do understand they are an important part of a release (even the Coke ads), I just rarely watch them myself. Just want high quality picture. ;)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have the old vhs tape from the early 1980's with John and Olivia on the front and a yellow bottom half with the cast and crew. The Coke ads are not visible.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
So peoples' basic wants for this release are:

1)A better video transfer.
2)The original audio mix reinstated.
3)The original Paramount logos reinstated.
4)The Coke ads uncensored.

Have you listened Paramount? Please say you have! All the fancy packaging in the world won't make up for it if you haven't.

I'm not bothered about #4 as the blurring represents the original theatrical presentation but the other points are imperative to me!

I await the reviews with nervous excitement! This is one release I am itching to get but won't unless they've put right the previous wrongs.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
I'm sorta confused here... they're announcing a 2 disc set in europe while american e-tailers like amazon and dvdempire announce it will be 1 disc. And it makes sense since there are bonus features mentioned for the european release not listed for the U.S. release. can please someone confirm/correct me in this?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Some reviews have popped up, but so far no one has talked about the logo. But I fear it may be the new one, because the reviewers say the soundtrack is the same one used on the previous dvd.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
So it would seem the picture is definitely improved but the original audio mix is still MIA? It really should be included regardless of any complaints about "the cramped highs and flat lows that marred the original theatrical and home video presentations" (see dvdfile's review)
dvd movie guide are positive about the new mix, so it seems it may be different again from the hideous 1998 remix? I hope mistakes have been corrected - like the mistimed dreadful mixout from 'You're the one that I want' - the original film made do with a perfectly fine fade-out but the '98 mix added "whoo hoos" taken from earlier in the song and the song sped up right at the end - which was frankly mental!!!! WHO approved that kind of thing?!?!?!?!

I'm going to have to get this to compare the mixes myself but I so hope they've done right by it. I'm getting fed up of pointless meddling with film soundtracks and musicals is where you notice it most!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

All of the Coke signs except one are blurred. According to the commentary, that's the way it was theatrically...

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

According to Amazon, YES

Availability: This title will be released on September 19, 2006. Pre-order now. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Same for Circuit City. But Best Buy and other sources have stuck with the September 12 date.

I guess my question is...does anyone know Paramount's actual intent?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, according to the reviews it has a newly restored transfer. Thats all I was interested in so I'll be double dipping. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks