Any news on Flying Nun or Gidget DVD releases?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by DouglasRobert, Sep 29, 2005.

1. DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert Second Unit

I remember reading somewhere that these were going to be released this year, but still nothing has been announced.

Is there any news on when or if these will or are planned for DVD anytime soon?

2. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

At the end of last year they were spoken about for this September but obviously that's not happening. I really want to get both of those. Gidget was a good show, one that ABC was foolish to cancel after one season. Flying Nun wasn't as good but I'd still like to get at least one season of complete episodes. Any word David?

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was 16 when Gidget originally aired, so I was a huge fan. I also had a crush on Sally Field. I have watched episodes when they have been run on TV Land.

I also think it was a huge mistake that ABC cancelled the series.

4. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I would definitely buy Gidget if/when it is released. This was one of my favorite shows growing up.

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

So, David, any word from Sony on these shows? It's been very quiet for a long time.

6. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Seems that Gidget was a victim of low ratings, failing to rank in the Top 30 shows of that season. It originally aired on Wednesdays at 8:30, opposite The Beverly Hillbillies (7th place) and The Virginian (23rd place). ABC moved it to Thursdays at 8, where it was opposite Gilligan's Island (22nd place) and Daniel Boone (26th place). Surprising, really, considering that it seems like a show that would have been more popular.

I would definitely buy Gidget, but I'd pass on The Flying Nun, except maybe to rent it.