Any news on Diff'rent Strokes S2?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Wezzo, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

I really enjoyed the S1 set and wondered if there were any plans for an S2 set - anyone heard anything?

2. John McM

John McM Second Unit

I think season 1 sold reasonably well, but knowing Sony, don't hold your breath for a season 2 announcement for another 3-4 months at least. They still haven't even announced Who's The Boss season 2 and that's been out since June and I'm sure that sold well.

3. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

Or Just Shoot Me for that matter. Haven't heard anything on that

4. John McM

John McM Second Unit

I hope we at least get the first 5 or 6 seasons of it, I can live without the last two years.

While it's at it, when it Sony going to announce Facts Of Life? The show has a huge loyal cult following and has not aired in reruns in some time

5. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

Not to mention Silver Spoons....That was my lineup for the night...

6. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    Yeah I'm waiting on Silver Spoons, but I'm afraid it will never get released, Sony has said they don't think there's enough of a fanbase to release it on DVD [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm totally surprised there's no word of Facts of Life

7. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob

So they released 227 instead? [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I wouldn't say Silver Spoons is beyond reach. Perhaps not a priority, but not beyond reach.

I know I would buy it in a heartbeat.

9. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

At least I'm not the only one who wants an S2 set. [​IMG] I'll probably collect up to S7 - I detested S8, but S7 had at least some redeeming qualities.

10. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

I hope Diff'rent Strokes S2 comes out early this summer at the latest. Silver Spoons and Facts of Life seem so obvious -- I hope they come out VERY soon. And I hope What's Happening!! S3 comes out before the fall, so we can complete that series, and move on to What's Happening Now!!

11. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela

I know, but alot of people think that's because Regina King's movie career is taking off

12. DaveK

DaveK Second Unit

Also, Marla Gibbs was a star on The Jeffersons (Season 3 will be release soon).

13. John McM

John McM Second Unit

too bad Schroeder bailed on NYPD Blue before TV-DVD really exploded, had he stayed on the show, I could see Sony pushing it "starring NYPD Blue star Rick Schroeder!"

14. John McM

John McM Second Unit

227 does have it's following, even tho part of me seriously doubts Sony is going to release a season 2

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If Gary Coleman had had his way, DS would have ended at S7 (1984-1985). I'd buy S8, even though I was far from impressed with what I have seen of it, mainly because I am a completist of most any show I purchase.

Facts of Life sounds like a logical step for Sony considering their release patterns (frustrating though they may be), and an instant purchase even though I'm not too crazy about S1.

But one thing I don't get about Columbia (a studio I have been, admittedly, quite tough on in the past): My Big Fat Greek Life and Significant Others get released, not only at all, but before shows that ran a long time. The shows mentioned in this thread have a collective 45 years (and with the next two mentions 56).

If they don't consider Silver Spoons (which ran for five years and 116 shows, compared to a collective ten EPISODES for the two short-run shows I mentioned) a priority, let Shout! Factory have it. They did Punky Brewster (its 1984-1985 lead-out and 1985-1986 lead-in) and they'd at least try to license any music that needs to be relicensed.

227 was popular in the years when it was on either before or after The Golden Girls, then it just petered out when NBC moved it to the head of the Saturday night lineup (to replace Facts, which had ended). I was, however, surprised to see it as it is only occasionally shown in reruns. BET had it a few years ago but I haven't seen it where I am since.

And then there's the issue of episode cramming.

16. John McM

John McM Second Unit

am I the only person who thinks Sony will release seasons 1 and 2 together when the time comes? season 1 was 13 episodes and season 2 was 16, so it's only 29 episodes, and I think Sony knows season 1 won't sell well on it's own

17. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

Actually, as S8 aired on another network, would it be owned by a separate company (and therefore perhaps not get released)?

18. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

John, not like they are going to listen or anything, but your thoughts on releasing the first two season's of FACTS is what I suggested to Columbia last year when I emailed them on the status of the show.

It is easy to say what you want about the show, and while I know that some might not agree with me, the first season was by far the weakest out of the season. There was simply too much going on and really no focus. Once the show became the focus of the four main girls with the inclusion of Nancy McKeon as Jo...the show suddenly found itself.

I am in on this one for the entire run when it comes. Though it does seem that any television product that I am after, the studio's are taking their ol damn sweet time on. Still awaiting word on CHARLIES ANGELS SEASON THREE and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY Seasons 2 through 8.

19. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

Columbia does seem to be just about the slowest studio around, especially now that the other studios have been speeding up their release schedules. Even The Simpsons, long complained about for its once a year schedule, has been moved up.

I'd love to see Diff'rent Strokes Season 2 and Facts of Life come out and I'm confident they will eventually. I loved the first season of Facts, but combining the first and second seasons together would be a good idea. I will stop buying Diff'rent Strokes when the seasons with that red-haired imp, Sam, are out as the show's dynamic changed too much for me.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Wesley,

All episodes of the show are owned by the company which produced them, not the network, unless the network produced them, which was not the case herein.