What's new

Any news on big collections or box sets for 2013 holiday season? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is mid-September, just over two months from Black Friday 2013.

Last year we had the Universal Monsters set, the James Bond Collection, the Alfred Hitchcock box.

Does anyone know if any big collections are in the works for this year? Its been very quiet - from all the studios.

I was kind of hoping we would have heard about something, anything. A package around a particular star or director. Maybe the Fred & Gingers, or something.

I know the market has changed, and the economy is a factor, etc. etc. Or maybe I'm just not aware of some major announcement. But its been quiet. too quiet.

I'm hoping that someone knows something about something. I'd even like to hear some substantial rumors, if they are out there.

David

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the big sets are generally released in September and October so if any were coming, they'd have been announced or even released by now. October through December is generally when summer movies get released on video.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
WB has the James Dean set coming out.

That's only 3 films, so I don't know if you consider that "big" or not, but I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So all we've got to look forward to are this year's price reductions on last year's big box collections? :)

Well, my wallet can use the slight break (not that I ever really give it one). It's still been a superb year for great product, with no letup in sight.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
But also, three such major collections hitting in one year is the exception, not the norm.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I really should keep a check on these things, but every year I forget.

Big boxes aside, when is the latest we can expect anything to be announced which will go on sale before Christmas?

Steve W

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not surprised that Universal is taking a rest from box sets this year, I hope they re-start next year:

Universal Classic Monsters: The Sequels
Fifties Sci-Fi Movies
The Hope/Crosby Road Movies
A Preston Sturges Box
James Stewart Western Collection

A couple of those would be fine.

I wish Warner would start on the box sets, they had some great DVD boxes. They could do three volumes of war movies, no problem.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Billy Batson said:
I'm not surprised that Universal is taking a rest from box sets this year, I hope they re-start next year:

Universal Classic Monsters: The Sequels
Fifties Sci-Fi Movies
The Hope/Crosby Road Movies
A Preston Sturges Box
James Stewart Western Collection

A couple of those would be fine.

I wish Warner would start on the box sets, they had some great DVD boxes. They could do three volumes of war movies, no problem.
And many boxes of classic musicals.

Derrick King

Supporting Actor
They are not a studio, but Criterion is releasing this beauty on November 26th
Film_679_ZatoichiSet_original.jpg

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
The colossally popular Zatoichi films make up the longest-running action series in Japanese history and created one of the screen’s great heroes: an itinerant blind masseur who also happens to be a lightning-fast swordsman. As this iconic figure, the charismatic and earthy Shintaro Katsu became an instant superstar, lending a larger-than-life presence to the thrilling adventures of a man who lives staunchly by a code of honor and delivers justice in every town and village he enters. The films that feature him are variously pulse-pounding, hilarious, stirring, and completely off-the-wall. This deluxe set features the string of twenty-five Zatoichi films made between 1962 and 1973, collected in one package for the first time.

[*]New digital restorations of all twenty-five films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
[*]The Blind Swordsman, a 1978 documentary about Zatoichi portrayer and filmmaker Shintaro Katsu, along with a new interview with its director, John Nathan
[*]New interview with Asian-film critic Tony Rayns
[*]Trailers for all twenty-five films
[*]New English subtitle translations
[*]PLUS: A book featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien; synopses of the films by critic, novelist, and musician Chris D.; “The Tale of Zatoichi,” the original short story by Kan Shimozawa; and twenty-five new illustrations inspired by the films, by twenty-five different artists
[/list]

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am not keen on the very big boxes such as James Bond or Hitchcock because I don't want all the titles, but the Universal Monsters was very good. Warners' Gangsters sets were released this year and it would be interesting to know how well they have sold. I would like some film-noir and musicals sets, also Michael Shayne, Marx brothers, Thin Man, Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis etc. However, unlike for DVD, I don't think the studios like blu-ray sets.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Derrick King said:
They are not a studio, but Criterion is releasing this beauty on November 26th
Film_679_ZatoichiSet_original.jpg

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman
This is definitely it for me. Well that and James Dean.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
atcolomb said:
Not a single Marx Bros film on blu-ray....a good excuse to release a box set one day soon.
The Marx Brothers films are overdue on Blu-ray. Is it possible that Love Happy will be the first Marx Brothers film on Blu-ray? Olive has announced it for the near future. I am all for Love Happy being released in HD but Universal and Warner Brothers really need to release the films under their respective control on Blu-ray.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
atcolomb said:
Not a single Marx Bros film on blu-ray....a good excuse to release a box set one day soon.
Timothy E said:
The Marx Brothers films are overdue on Blu-ray. Is it possible that Love Happy will be the first Marx Brothers film on Blu-ray? Olive has announced it for the near future. I am all for Love Happy being released in HD but Universal and Warner Brothers really need to release the films under their respective control on Blu-ray.

I love the Marx Brothers, and definitely feel they should be on Blu (then I again, I have several hundred other titles I feel the same way about).

However there are a couple of drawbacks.

The first five (the Zeppo's) were made by Paramount and are under Universal's control. But based on the Silver set, the existing prints would need a lot of work. And I'm not so sure how willing Universal is to put effort into or put out early Paramounts

Of the MGM titles, those are owned by Warners, and based on their DVD set, have decent elements to work with. However, for me, once you get past the third or fourth, they are less enjoyable (IMO)

But only time will tell.

P.S. I don't want this to turn into a studio bashing thread - there are plenty of those elsewhere.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
David Weicker said:
The first five (the Zeppo's) were made by Paramount and are under Universal's control. But based on the Silver set, the existing prints would need a lot of work. And I'm not so sure how willing Universal is to put effort into or put out early Paramounts
AMEN, heck, Universal won't even release Skippy, a Best Picture Nominee (and winner for Best Director!)

I'd kill for this to be released, and die if it did!

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Where is the 50th anniversary Blu ray box set of the PINK PANTHER movies...especially A SHOT IN THE DARK?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, it's not in a box, but remember that Fox is releasing the first week in December the eight winners of the Vote Your Choice contest held earlier in the year, and I'm certainly looking forward to some of them (Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Desk Set, Carmen Jones, Jesse James).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javalsu