1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any news on any Sony ES multi-channel SACD / DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kheng Hong, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

see title.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

A few posts down is a review of the SCD-555ES. Try a search for model numbers and see what you come up with.
    ------------------
    Q

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Or go to Audio Asylum. They have plenty of feedback on the multi-channel units.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

4. Kheng Hong

Kheng Hong Agent

I think this is solely a SACD player (SCD). I'm talking about players like DVP-9000ES, which offers DVD as well as SACD but only 2 channels for SACD.
    ------------------
    Sony ES Poster Boy

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Sony offers 4 models of audio SACD multi-channel players and 2 additional models that also do DVD video.

Audio Only

----------

SCD-XA777ES

SCD-XA333ES

SCD-XB7

SCD-XE6

Video DVD/Audio

---------------

DVP-NS900V

DVP-S9000ES

In addition, Pioneer had just introduced in Japan an SACD capable DVD player with price and features similat to the new Sony DVP-NS900V

There are also two Sony "theater in box" systems that include DVD player that supports multi-channel SACD and includes speakers.

DAV-S500

DAV-S800

Sharp has also introduced system similar to the above mentioned Sony using the Sharp 1-bit amp technology.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kheng, I have not heard anything about an ES progressive-scan DVD/multi-channel SACD player coming out to replace the 'S9000ES. For now, it seems like Sony will stick with the DVP-NS900V as their top-end progressive-scan DVD/multi-channel SACD player. The British hi-fi magazines also have written about a DVP-NS700V that plays DVDs and multi-channel SACDs. I live in the US, and the 'NS700V is not available here, but it may be available in Singapore. We have the 'NS700P, which does not play SACDs. We also have the 'NS500V, which is a budget DVD/multi-channel SACD player. It's a single-disc unit and does not offer progressive-scan output. I don't know if the 'NS500V is available in your area.

Roger provided a good list of the current multi-channel SACD players, many of which may be available in Singapore. Here are complete model numbers for a couple:

SCD-XB770

SCD-XE670

I'm not sure if the 'XB770 is available in your area. The British hi-fi magazines have written about an SCD-XB770 UKSE, where 'UKSE' stands for UK Special Edition. It is one of those "UK Tuned" components Sony is famous for in Britain. Maybe a non-UKSE version of the 'XB770 is available in Singapore.

The SCD-C555ES is a multi-channel SACD carousel changer. It does not play DVDs. Note that it is only marketed in North America. Likewise, we have the SCD-CE775 budget CD/multi-channel SACD changer here as well. We also have the DVP-NC650V, which is an interlaced DVD/multi-channel SACD carousel changer. Finally, Sony is marketing a Dream System (home-theater-in-a-box) called the DAV-C700 that offers a five-disc DVD/SACD changer. I doubt you will find these changers in Singapore, but I mention them just in case. Sony does not market too many changers outside of North America.

In any event, if you want a DVD/multi-channel SACD player from Sony, I am guessing that your options are limited to the 'NS900V and possibly the 'NS700V. I don't know if the latter unit is marketed in Singapore. You might also look into Marantz, though their SACD players are generally much more expensive than Sony's offerings. Here in North America, Marantz is marketing the SA-12S1 DVD/multi-channel SACD player.

I'm not sure which Pioneer DVD/SACD player Roger is referring to. The British magazines have recently reported the release of the Pioneer DV-747A, which is a progressive-scan DVD player that plays both multi-channel and stereo SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Maybe it's available in your area.

7. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Keith,Marantz (high end only) and Accuphase sell for about half of the USA list price in Japan.

Yes, the 747 is the Pioneer I am referring to. I saw it for the first time in store yesterday. It is priced the same as the Sony DVP-NS900V.

Sony has gone to "open pricing" on all AV items in Japan. I guess that this is to help the dealers make more profit, particularly close to new product introduction date. Consumers had learned to expect a certain discount percent off list price.....now there is no list price for benchmark.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Roger, thanks for the information. Even at half-price, Accuphase gear is very expensive. Marantz at half-price is very much obtainable.

What was your impressions of the Pioneer '747A? If you didn't get to listen to it or watch a DVD, how is the build quality? I am wondering if Pioneer will market this model or something similar in the US. I say 'similar' because Pioneer usually markets high-end components here under the Elite name. For example, Pioneer marketed the DV-939A progressive-scan DVD-Audio in Europe and probably the far east. In North America, we have the Elite DV-38A. As a result of this marketing trend by Pioneer, I wonder if we will see an Elite version of the '747A.

9. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Keith, my guess is that you will see this as the Elite 47A. The specifications on the Elite and Japanese model have been identical in the past with the Elite getting a different case. I did not see the 47 in operation, but the video section has same marketing designations as the other higher end Pioneer progressive models. As there is no digital out for SACD, the SACD audio performance will depend on the DACs in the circuit. I'll try to find on Pioneer Japan site or pick up a catalog to get a scan.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Roger, you are probably right. If Pioneer releases an "Elite DV-47A" in the US that will play multi-channel SACDs and DVD-Audio discs and offer progressive-scan output, that will probably be one sweet machine.