Any news on an R1 release of Amelie ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Has there been any news on an R1 release of Amelie?
    R2 has a pretty nifty 3-disc (2 DVDs, 1 CD) limited edition set due on December 19th, as well as an SE due on January 9th.
    I've never seen the film, but from the trailer I've seen and the reviews I've read - I consider this to be low-risk purchase.

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

3. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Marc,
    where did you get the news on the R2 release? In which country will those editions you mentionned be released? I found nothing, but would be very interested in those DVDs.
    Hartwig

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Although its not been released in the US yet, its been out in France since April, and in Canada since September, which is why some people are already getting excited about the DVD release. As with Memento (which I saw in the UK last year), there are occasional times when my habit of importing from the US gets me a film later, rather than earlier.
    oh, and that R2 DVD is in France, by the way. No English subtitles either, so if you don't know French you'll have to wait like me.
    ------------------
    woohoo!
    [Edited last by Iain Lambert on October 31, 2001 at 02:19 AM]

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

6. Marc Colella

7. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulin (which will be titled in US, I think, Amélie from Montmartre) has been out since September in Quebec. Like in France, the Jean-Pierre Jeunet's film (Alien 4) has received wonderful reviews and it is a huge box office hit in the francophone market. And, believe me, it deserves it completely.
    Of course, you've got to love french cinema. But it is worth it. You'll spend two hours smiling, laughing and making you happy at the end. I consider it as a refreshing and endearing experience. It won't leave you indifferent. It is one of the best movie I saw this year. Audrey Tautou as Amélie is a revelation.
    BTW, Amélie Poulin will be in competition for best foreign film at the next Academy awards.
    Give yourself the pleasure of seeing this film. You won't regret it. French cinema at its best.
    Pierre http://www.ameliepoulain.com/intro.htm

8. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Don't expect the theatrical release to be short. Miramax is promoting this like crazy and fully expects to have a crossover hit (a la Life is Beautiful or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). We were supposed to be getting it early in its run, and now it's even been pushed up another week. I would not be surprised if it is still playing here in March if everything I've heard about it is true.
    ------------------
    Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
    Most recent reviews: Withnail and I: The Criterion Collection

9. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

quote: Here's the pre-order link on Amazon.fr (France):[/quote]The limited edition set has already sold out at Amazon.fr -- not surprising, considering that Amélie was a huge success in France.
    However, you can still pre-order it from other retailers. I ordered mine from http://www.cinestore.com/html/fiche_produits.php?groupe=1&page=1&id=10850
    Salut à tous,
    ------------------
    [ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3
    [Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on October 31, 2001 at 08:58 AM]

10. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

I caught a preview of this last night - it's a fantastic, fun picture. If you've enjoyed previous Jeunet (well, except for Aliens 4) then you're going to go for this one too. It's a bit more adult, but still very playful, both in narrative and in visual style. Catch it at a theatre with a big screen, then we can worry about the DVD next year.
    BTW, the US title is simply Amelie.

11. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

12. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Has there been any update on the R1 release? I hope that it's as decked out as the R2.

~Bob

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Yet another dvd release I'm eagerly awaiting... [​IMG]

14. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

Knowing Miramax, when they do release this they will call it a "special edition" and have such added features as an "animated menu" and Americanized trailer.

I hope they don't botch this one.

Other regions are getting wonderful extras. I wish I spoke French so I wouldn't have to bother getting the Miramax DVD.

Matt

15. Marc Colella

Amelie has dropped to #15 in the boxoffice standings, so we may see the R1 DVD earlier than later.
    Here's hoping.

16. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes