What's new

Any news on a remastered version of Two Women (Sophia Loren)? (1 Viewer)

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
My wife and I watched this last night on Turner Classics and were floored. We tried watching a couple years ago via Netflix but the picture was so poor we had to abort. Looking for the best available transfer, region not important.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I've been hoping either Criterion or NoShame would pick this one up, but I'm not sure who owns it (Studio Canal maybe?). The Madacy DVD was one of the first I ever saw in 1998 and was an early lesson to not trust the "digitally remastered" claims of public-domain DVD companies.

I still have the Embassy VHS tape, which isn't bad.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The Good News: Two Women/La Ciociara has been released in a beatifully remastered DVD in Italy (you can see the picture quality compared with one of the execrable Public Domain US releases here).

The Bad News: This beautiful Italian DVD has no English subtitles.

The film has also been released on DVD in France and in the English dub version in Australia. The French disc also appears to lack English subs, and I have no idea if teh Aussie edition is any better than those released in the US.

I can only hope that a US, British, or Aussie company will someday license the Medusa release (from 2003) and add some subtitles. I've heard no rumors that this is happening, however.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Wow, thanks for the link. I'll keep my fingers crossed or learn Italian, both may take awhile :frowning:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

TCM showed it again this morning and I recorded it. However, it looks like it's been cut. The Motion Picture Guide gives the running time as 105 minutes. IMDB says 100 minutes. Maltin's guide says 99 minutes.

The version they showed on TCM looks decent, but the running time is only 92 minutes.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Soemthing else to look forward to, since I still haven't learned Italian. Why do we have to wait so long for good films when so much crap is available within months? :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks