any news on a new Man Who Would Be King dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt_H, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

just wondering since it a 97 release and seems to be a single layer flipper.It's my dad's favorite movie so I just wanted to know if I should wait for a new edition or if the picture's bad.

2. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Good timing as TCM is right now broadcasting MWWBK.

This John Houston classic is one of my favorite films of all-time and would be a perfect addition to Warner's superb 2-Disc SE (Slip Cover) Series of DVDs. I believe the original film negatives are in excellent condition, and there is an abundant amount of material available for a full disc of supplements. There was talk back when the LD version was being developed that both Michael Caine and Sean Connery where interested in recording a commentary track together. It didn't happen, but maybe Warner can work their magic and get them to record one for a new release.

Perhaps Warner will do something for the film's 30th Anniversary (which is next year), but frankly I find the whole 'Anniversary DVD' concept to be rather meaningless and often results in delayed DVD releases when some marketing genius decides that having an "Anniversary" label will somehow sell more copies. [​IMG]

3. I consider myself lucky to have found a copy of the 1997 release.

Never saw the movie before, so it was quite an experience.

PQ is OK, not great or terrible. It is 16x9 enhanced.

Frequently I talk DVD with other folks and they often poo-hoo the current state of movies (OK, Daredevil did suck).

But then I start asking people if they've seen OUATITW or MWWBK, they say 'what?'.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have owned this DVD ever since I got my first player in late 1997 and love it, although I wish it had a 5.1 soundtrack instead of the mono one.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

Its not out of print[​IMG]

I really hope they give this one 2 disc treatment. I really needs a new transfer and some better sound.

6. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I bought it when it first came out and still enjoy it today. It would be nice if they got rid of the flipper and got Connery & Caine to do a commentary. But, I am happy with the disc I have now, but I would repurchase it, if it was reissued without being a flipper.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I am somewhat skeptical that these two would ever do a commentary since they feel that they had been shafted out of money from this film. I don't have a source for this. Anyway, the latest R2 version is anamorphic but it's not really that good. It could use a good remastering.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I think that the current transfers are just fine. The region 1 is anamorphic, but is a flipper and the region 2 is anamorphic dual layer. I have the region 1 and I rewatched it again a few weeks ago and the transfer is very good, if you ask me. And is has the original 1975 on-set featurette and trailer.

A SE would be nice, but the current editions are just fine, IMHO.