What's new

Any news on a Carol Burnett Show DVD? (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
We'll be lucky if there would be 5 shows of that quality level on the air at any one time, let alone on the same network AND on the same night.
And of course, at some point, eventually TV schedules will vanish as everything moves to on-demand, download, and internet based programing.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Understandable opinions, guys, I don't necessarily disagree, but not one of you really answered my question.
And, as we get closer to streaming, etc, and having digital storage (as my Blu Ray player has) or at least multidisc players(I still have my 5 disc DVDP) I would look to the future technology to create programming choices for rented or purchased media in that way.
I've long fantasized about having a big server capable of streaming what might be set up to feel a bit like channels, with the kind of programming we would choose.
PS: I ordered Carol Burnett box today. They sent an authorization for the first $39.99 (free ship and no tax to my region) but stressed they would not actually bill the first installment until it ships on 7/31, then 4 more at $39.99 every three weeks. If the first payment is billed on 7/31 the 21 day cycle only hits once a month until the last one. By then I'll have had the entire set for 3 months. Rep said that they often replace defective or accidentally broken discs free and the entire set can be returned within 30 days for refund. I can see myself setting up evenings with a couple eps of MTM and Newhart (though Fox did a bad on on MTM S1) then a couple Carols. I think as a variation on a friends over movie night, you could set up a CBS Saturday with vintage snacks...

Mark Y

Screenwriter
NY2LA said:
Understandable opinions, guys, I don't necessarily disagree, but not one of you really answered my question.
And, as we get closer to streaming, etc, and having digital storage (as my Blu Ray player has) or at least multidisc players(I still have my 5 disc DVDP) I would look to the future technology to create programming choices for rented or purchased media in that way.
I've long fantasized about having a big server capable of streaming what might be set up to feel a bit like channels, with the kind of programming we would choose.
PS: I ordered Carol Burnett box today. They sent an authorization for the first $39.99 (free ship and no tax to my region) but stressed they would not actually bill the first installment until it ships on 7/31, then 4 more at $39.99 every three weeks. If the first payment is billed on 7/31 the 21 day cycle only hits once a month until the last one. By then I'll have had the entire set for 3 months. Rep said that they often replace defective or accidentally broken discs free and the entire set can be returned within 30 days for refund. I can see myself setting up evenings with a couple eps of MTM and Newhart (though Fox did a bad on on MTM S1) then a couple Carols. I think as a variation on a friends over movie night, you could set up a CBS Saturday with vintage snacks...
Jeez, I just did this with the Guthy-Renker DVDs, and didn't even get all of them. Do I hafta do this AGAIN?
It sure would be nice to know which episodes are included. I suspect they figure that's the sticking poiint for (1) people who'd spend that much on a set, and (2) who would have bought the previous releases -- who are probably the same people!
Glad it's coming out, though.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Totally understood. Of course it depends a lot on your budget... From what we have heard there have been more then 50 episodes released by CH and GR, and we've been told that this set will include episodes never before released. here's what I SUGGEST. If you can afford it and you are the type who wants as many episodes as possible, I would get the new box set. See what episodes are in it, and then sell off the older duplicates on Amazon. It's been said Time Life intends to release more, so you could imagine eventually they would reissue all the previously released episodes plus new ones, and the newer discs make more efficient use of the DVD capacity (3 eps per disc). Just a suggestion. I only ever had 5 eps from GR, had to sell them off a couple years ago but got a great price, so I'm in good shape to get this big set.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
NY2LA said:
/t/28224/any-news-on-a-carol-burnett-show-dvd/90#post_3938326
Well, I probably wouldn't subscribe because I can recreate that line up with my own dvds, so there's really no need. Plus, it's totally different in duplicating the lineup than it was to experience them brand new, back-to-back.
But I do think that we will be our own programmers in the future.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
As far as the Time-Life set goes, I would imagine there will be moderate to heavy duplication of episodes, only because each release seems to want to include a fair amount of favorites and popular eps. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
NY2LA said:
It's been said Time Life intends to release more
Has it? I know that I (and others) earlier in the thread may have speculated that additional sets could come out if this one does well enough, but is there an actual quote from T-L you can point me to? I don't remember seeing one.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Has it? I know that I (and others) earlier in the thread may have speculated that additional sets could come out if this one does well enough, but is there an actual quote from T-L you can point me to? I don't remember seeing one.
Actually, I found where that information about additional sets came up on a tvshowsondvd.com's news story:
However, the answer to the question "will there be other releases later, beyond these four titles?" is that YES, there are indeed plans to release additional episodes. Season sets are NOT part of the plan, but you could indeed see additional rounds of hand-picked releases on DVD, similar to the ones on this first round that Time Life is putting out.
Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-DVD-Update/16845#ixzz1xpEjuzqy
So it looks like more might be on the schedule after these 4 titles (The Ultimate Collection, 1 Disc set, 2 Disc Set and 6 Disc Set) come out! I imagine though, it's going to depend on how successful the sales of these titles do for Time-Life.:)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
You hit on the statement I was referring to, but let me zero in on that one line: "...YES, there are indeed plans to release additional episodes." Of course i believe it may hinge on how well his first batch catches on. Now at first thought, I join some of you with concern about the fact that the big set likely contains mostly previously released episodes, and we would wonder how this would effect overall sales and therefore the potential for future releases... I only hope we haven't lost a big part of the audience who are no longer breathing. Think how many folks we've lost who would have LOVED to have this show on video...
Both Columbia House and Guthy Renker sold exclusively by subscription, making the material a rather pricey luxury (only two episodes at a time) and limiting the potential sales. I remember calling GR thinking of buying all that was available, but the agent's script was SO irritatingly aggressive in up-selling that i hung up without buying ANYTHING! But this time things are different: The smaller sets are going to be widely available throughout retail outlets, in enough different versions (hopefully without confusing anyone) and at such a reasonable price that a lot more people would likely buy them than ever have before.
Because The Carol Burnett Show has been absent from syndication (and the public's eyes) for so long, it might be a harder sell now. I would hope Time Life is working on promoting this show a great deal, running some episodes on TV somewhere, so that it can win over some new fans. It seems to me that the sales of the smaller units might be at least as significant if not more so than the big box, in determining if and when we get more. I would love to see another prime time special with Carol and Vicki and Tim and Lyle talking about the old show, maybe doing a couple new sketches. Remember when they did that reunion special how great the ratings were? I'm looking forward to this release like a long-lost friend who's the kind of company that's been sorely lacking these days.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Has anyone noticed the updates at TV on DVD? from another company just as the big CBS box set comes out, a 3 disc set of CB primetime specials including Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall - all Bob Banner titles, which would seem to confirm that his company is no longer an issue Then comes news of another release come November with 4 CB Christmas shows! Wouldn't be surprised if they were Banner properties too...
it's beginning to look like a very Carol Christmas...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
The retail variations for the Carol Burnett Show will come out after the Exclusive direct-sale box set comes out in August. Keep an eye out on Amazon and TV on DVD for that.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
having preordered their big box set for The Carol Burnett Show, I got an email today from Time-Life asking me to check out their "new website."
From the link to the show, they have at least a hint of the episodes, among other content. They have rather confusingly or misleadingly grouped the discs into four "seasons" With a few details of each.
http://timelife.com/products/the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection
Still, it amazes me that we are only a month away from their projected ship date and we STILL do not have episode lists for either the big box or the smaller retail sets. It still looks to me like they want to get out their exclusive big box first before releasing the retail variations.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I think they have made a mistake by calling the groupings "seasons."
SEASON 1
Carol's Favorites
This volumes includes 16 uncut episodes featuring some of the most beloved moments of the show. The DVD set also features over three hours of exclusive bonus features.
Classic Sketches
The Family, Mr. Tudball & Mrs. Wiggins, The Oldest Man, The Charwoman, and As The Stomach Turns are all included.
Movie & TV Parodies
Includes "The Walnuts" (The Waltons) and "As The Stomach Turns" (including a take-off on Close Encounter of The Third Kind).
Guest Stars
Guest stars include Betty White, Steve Martin, Carl Reiner, George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Vincent Price, The Jackson 5, Shirley McLaine, Roddy McDowell and many others!
Bonus Features
Nearly three hours of footage including a Cast Reunion, a rare interview with Harvey & Tim, the rarely seen sketch "The Dentist", the featurette "I want to push that button": The History of the Carol Burnett Show, the featurette "Ahhh, Mrs. Whiggins?", and exclusive interviews with Betty White, Carl Reinder, Carol Burnett, and Tim Conway.
SEASON 2
This Time Together
This volume includes 17 uncut episodes showcasing some of the most acclaimed moments of the show. The DVD set also features over two hours of exclusive bonus footage.
Classic Sketches
The Family, Mr. Tudball & Mrs. Wiggins, The Oldest Man, The Charwoman, and As The Stomach Turns are all included.
Movie & TV Parodies
Side-splitting parodies and favorite segments including “TV Commercials,” “No Frills Airline,” “Ham Actors,” “The Recital,” and “Airline Security.”
Guest Stars
Guest stars include Bernadette Peters, Sammy Davis Jr., Lily Tomlin, Dick Van Dyke, Peggy Lee, Madeline Kahn, Hal Linden, Steve Lawrence and many others.
Bonus Features
Includes nearly two hours of exclusive bonus features including a Cast Reunion with Carol, Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway & Lyle Waggoner—This Time Together, the featurette Gags and Gowns: A Tribute to Designer Bob Mackie, and interviews with Carol Burnett, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence and Steve Lawrence.
SEASON 3
One More Time
This volume includes 17 uncut episodes of laugh-out-loud comedy. The DVD set also features over two hours of exclusive bonus footage.
Classic Sketches
The Family, Carol & Sis, Mr. Tudball & Mrs. Wiggins, The Oldest Man, and The Charwoman are all included.
Movie & TV Parodies
Side-splitting parodies “The Late, Late Movie” (The Little Foxies), “Mary, Mary Quite Contrary” (Mary Hartman Mary Hartman), and “Snow White—15 Years Later.”
Guest Stars
Guest stars include Betty White, Bernadette Peters, Dick Van Dyke, Tony Randall, Vincent Price, Telly Savalas, Jack Klugman, Jim Nabors, and many others.
Bonus Features
Over two hours of bonus footage including the Cast Reunion with Carol, Vicki Lawrence, Tim Conway & Lyle Waggoner—One More Time, the featurette: Focus on “The Family”, and interviews with Carol Burnett, Vicki Lawrence, Betty White and Joel Grey.
SEASON 4
Bonus Features
Join Carol, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence & Lyle Waggoner, along with guest performers and friends as they share never-before-told stories from one of television’s most beloved shows. Exclusive, newly produced featurettes explore the show’s history, favorite characters and sketches, and the impact of The Carol Burnett Show on successive generations.
Exclusive Interviews
Exclusive interviews with Betty White, Carl Reiner, Jerry Lewis, Bernadette Peters, Jane Lynch, Amy Poehler, Rita Moreno, Bob Mackie, Steve Lawrence and Ellen DeGeneres.
Featurettes
Featurettes include Bring Up the Lights—Carol’s Q&As, Laugh Tracks—A Tribute to the Writers on The Carol Burnett Show, Starlet, Mildred, and More—A Celebration of the Movie Parodies, Next Stop, Broadway—About the Mini-Musicals, Breaking Up Is Hard…Not to Do—The Ensemble Chemistry and Famous “Break-Ups” on The Carol Burnett Show, and We Love You Harvey.
Additional Features
Additional features include a rare interview with Harvey Korman, reminiscing about his time on The Carol Burnett Show, bonus sketches featuring Lucille Ball, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis, and rare appearances by Carol on The Garry Moore Show—never-before available on DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Carabimero said:
I am torn between splurging for this and waiting a year to get a deal.
So go for the sixty dollar retail set now and if you feel like upgrading to the big box later you can sell it off online.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What are they thinking by grouping the eps together as "seasons" ? Not only is it misleading but it doesnt even make sense. How do a bunch of random eps thrown together even remotely constitute a "season" ?
All that would be fine if they would just reveal the blasted episode list. A lot of people are waiting to order theirs until they find out for sure what's on this. Does Time-Life not realize this?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Rain said:
What are they thinking by grouping the eps together as "seasons" ? Not only is it misleading but it doesnt even make sense. How do a bunch of random eps thrown together even remotely constitute a "season" ?
All that would be fine if they would just reveal the blasted episode list. A lot of people are waiting to order theirs until they find out for sure what's on this. Does Time-Life not realize this?
I know, I know. I can imagine there is a good deal of publicity coming throughout the media. I'm hoping the "season" moniker is just really bad copywriting.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
David Rain said:
A lot of people are waiting to order theirs until they find out for sure what's on this. Does Time-Life not realize this?
Maybe there's a lot of overlap with the Columbia House discs, and they're hoping hard-core fans will cave and buy it before they find out how many duplicated episodes are really on there.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AndyMcKinney said:
Maybe there's a lot of overlap with the Columbia House discs, and they're hoping hard-core fans will cave and buy it before they find out how many duplicated episodes are really on there.
Most we know is from the nice guy at TV on DVD who pressed to get answers from TL, and from that it seemed to me that the majority of this set would be the same episodes. If the premise is that Carol picked the best episodes in the first place (back when first released) and they had to be not from the first five years, and there were sixty eps released before, it would seem that ALL of the 50 in this set would be previously released unless they had reached a deal for the first 5 years (which seems possible based on the announcements that this set would have some material from that era). So just by simple math it would seem to me that this first big set would contain a lot of duplicates, but the NEXT big set would not. Thing is, THIS set has to sell in order for there to BE a next set.
http://timelife.com/products/the-carol-burnett-show-the-ultimate-collection
One more thing to consider: With all this increased interest and some affordibly priced retail sets coming out, a lot of new buyers will be wanting this stuff. But they won't all be able to afford to get the big set. SO... those who can swing it, (easier with the multi payment option) can buy the new big box set with all the new bonus material (which makes better use of disc space by including three episodes and extras per disc) then sell off the previous versions legitimately on the net, which would likely be easy due to lots of new customers who bought the smaller retail sets, then want more but can't swing the big box. Pricewise I imagine one could break even or better. Does that sound like a practical idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks