Any news of new DVD-Audio software at CES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jan 10, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Does anyone know if DVD-Audio is making a strong presence at CES? Any news of new software coming down the pike? Thanks in advance.

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The best news I've heard so far for the DVD-A format is that First Impressions Music is releasing a DVD-A sampler. Not much, I know, and their catalog tends to be more "audiophile" stuff than stuff you might really want to listen to... on the other hand, a couple of my absolute favorite SACDs are from FIM: the classic "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the traditional Chinese instrumental "River of Sorrow". These are each state-of-the-art in their own way, and would be a nice little boon for the DVD-A crowd should they get released on that format.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, thanks. I have the FIM Audiophile Reference IV SACD. It sounds great, but it's not really my thing. I was hoping for news on the DVD-Audio front from the major labels. [​IMG]

4. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I have no idea what the DVD-A consortium is doing. It does look like 2003 will be a very good year title-wise for SACD but pretty dismal for DVD-A. On the positive side, DVD-A does appear to be making more inroads than SACD on the hardware front introducing more and more affordable players, but WHERE ARE THE TITLES? I know things are slowly coming, but we are still waiting for major Warner titles from two years ago and Warner has done nothing to explain why these titles have disappeared from their roster. I certainly do hope that some title announcements come from CES in the coming days because this is what will make these formats appealing to the public. Hell, there are almost now as many DVD-A players than there are actual titles. This isn't good.

Reg

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The one bright spot for DVDA was that Classic Records, a well regarded audiophile label, signed on to produce some DVDAs which was announced at CES today.
    Full story in CES Day 3 article on www.stereophile.com
    Still, the overwhelming good news for SACD at CES puts a lot of pressure on the format IMHO.
    It will be interesting to see what press announcements they make at CES.
    [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,
    Thanks for the information. I'll have to check that stereophile.com link.
    Reggie,
    I don't know what the DVD-Audio consortium is doing either. Not much, it seems. [​IMG]

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Lee,

Thanks for the link.

-Reg