Any news of a release date for "Harry and Tonto"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott David, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

After watching Art Carney's hilarious scene-stealing turn in "House Calls" on DVD recently, it occured to me that "Harry and Tonto" still has yet to be released in the format, for which Carney won an Oscar. Does anyone know if that's coming out soon? I believe Fox still has the rights to it.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott, good to see that I'm not alone in my admiration of this film. And why is it not on DVD? Good question, considering what is on DVD. Why not post in the Studio Feedback area? It would be nice to see if anyone from Fox has news on this very-1970s title.

3. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

I'll add my support for seeing this released on DVD. I am a big fan of 1970's films, and Harry & Tonto is certainly one of the best (if not best) American movies from the 70's that is still unreleased on DVD (I would add An Unmarried Woman as the other major candidate for that honor). In general, the major studios seem to have been kinder the 1970's than most other decades in terms of getting catalogue titles out, so I have to believe we will see H&T on DVD sooner or later.

This is one of the last VHS tapes I still own - just waiting for the chance to finally replace it.

4. Scott David

Thanks for the tip, Jack. I did it just now, in the "Fox 2005 Releases" thread. Hopefully between that thread and this, the ball will finally get rolling on getting this released.

Roy, I also agree with your suggestion for "An Unmarried Woman" (another Paul Mazursky-directed film), which featured a great performance from Jill Clayburgh. Heck, how 'bout someone making a Mazursky box set? Throw in "Next Stop Greenwich Village", "Harry and Tonto", "An Unmarried Woman", etc.!

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I love that movie. It has a subtle, unsentimental poignancy and beauty that isn't found in many American films. A DVD edition is long overdue.

6. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Fox should release HARRY & TONTO, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN, WILLIE & PHIL and NEXT STOP GREENWICH VILLAGE in a Paul Mazursky Collector's set. I'm sure he would be game to do comentaries for all, as would some of the stars.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The Bits is reporting Harry & Tonto on Fox's September slate. Huzzah!

8. Scott David

Sounds great, John, but I searched the Bits and couldn't find that little item anywhere. Can you copy and paste the quote or post the link to it?

9. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Great news! Thanks for posting, John. Exact date is September 6, by the way.

Another VHS tape retired...

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

...but now all mention of Harry & Tonto has been removed from The Bits. I know Fox has form for announcing, and then pulling, titles, but that's ridiculous. I apologise if I got anyone's hopes up. It does look as if RoyM above saw the same news, so I don't think I'm going ga-ga (yet).

11. Scott David

John, the Bits re-inserted the release date this morning:

I guess it's safe for us to officially go ga-ga! [​IMG]

12. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Ah-HA! Darned cached pages - found it!

13. Jack Briggs

Excellent news!

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

In other news, 20th Century Fox has announced more titles for release on 9/6, including The House on Haunted Hill (1958), The Innocents, Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, Satisfaction, Sherlock Holmes: Prelude to Murder (1946), Somewhere in the Night, Terror by Night (1946), Whirlpool, Almost You, The Chase (1994), House on 92nd Street, Goosebumps: Chillogy, Goosebumps: Scary House and Goosebumps: The Ghost Next Door.

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Let's hope it's been delayed so Paul Mazursky can record an audio commentary tracks. He's done some great ones, so it would be ashame if one of his best films got a bare-bones release.

16. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Looks barebones, but full details have still to come. Still, DVD Answers has box art for Harry & Tonto here.

17. Scott David

Not too crazy about the artwork, but that's a very minor quibble. My only fear is that Fox would release it MAR, since it's so inexpensive. Fox has a pretty good track record with OAR releases, don't they?

18. Jack Briggs

Yes.

19. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    The lowdown on Harry & Tonto at DVD Times here:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Harry & Tonto for 6th September 2005 priced at $9.98 SRP. Art Carney shines in this poignant drama about an aging widower's determined search for a better life.

Features include:
    1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    English Stereo
    English and Spanish Mono
    English and Spanish subtitles
    Audio Commentary with Paul Mazursky
    Theatrical Teaser & Trailer
    3 TV Spots

20. Charles Ms

Charles Ms Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully this release also means "The Tempest" is on its way and will include a commentary by Paul Mazursky. [​IMG]