Any news about 'Bringing Up Baby'?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joel Vardy, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

This one was mentioned in the past for this year and I'm not sure where it stands now. Anyone out there have any ideas? Especially with the passing of Hepburn a few days ago...

Joel

2. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Apparently nobody has any news. I found this thread after watching this film on TCM last night. It's really in bad shape, very faded, some damage, lots of dirt, and horrid sound. I know this is old, but having also recently watched the new DVD of Casablanca, BUB screams for some TLC. It's a shame this AFI top 100 film remains neglected.

3. earl_roberts

earl_roberts Stunt Coordinator

I really, really, really want this. I just hope we don't have it at the moment cause they've spent plenty of time restoring it rather then having not gotten round to it yet.

4. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

It is available in Europe : I bought a version in Germany which was fine apart from redone titles. It will do for now until Warner bring out the definitive version but their RKO catalog seems to be getting neglected. Maybe it really is because of the restoration work required but that seems to be taking a long time.

Apart from their great version of Kane, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) and two early Hepburn titles (Little Women and Alice Adams are available I think)Warner haven't released any RKO films which they own. In the most recent chat it appeared they were still appraising these films and really just said they were in pretty bad shape. Unfortunately they said something very similar a couple of years ago.

Really its a pity Bringing Up Baby and the Astaire-Rodgers movies in particular aren't out yet. While Warner are at last doing right by its own product from the golden age I'm less impressed with their plans or lack of them for releasing both RKO and MGM films from the 30s which they now own.

Maybe next year will prove me wrong and the Marx Brothers and King Kong from the MGM and RKO catalogs seem to be definitely in the works. I suppose to be fair there are just so many classic films you can release in one year.

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Yes, there is a very nice Bringing Up Baby SE DVD in R2-France. So far as Warner and the "in bad shape" RKO films, if they don't want to make the financial investment in restoring them, why don't they just license them to Criterion?

Ted

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, so the dumb question of the day is - why can't they use the R2 prints?

Glenn

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

9. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

OK, so why did we get late '02, early '03 indications that this title was imminent this year and then silence (not always a bad sign...). Any insights?

Joel