Any new set top boxes on the way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brunner, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I picked up a 56H80 almost a year ago and was hoping to celebrate our 1 year anniversary by getting her a STB. [​IMG]
    I know the DST3000 has been available for a while now, however, if a newer model is around the corner, I could wait.
    Any news of newer models (not limited specifically to Toshiba) that I should stand by for. Since I have the 56H80, I obviously need component connectivity.
    Thanks for looking!
    Chris

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Zenith has a new model that was supposed to be released this summer, but still has not shipped. There are a lot of folks anxious to get this box based on the specs and reviews of demo models. However, when it will be available is anyone's guess.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

The Zenith DTV-1080 has shipped and there have been some reviews posted at the AVS forum. Most have been very favorable WRT to picture quality, although some other aspects aren't too well thought out.
    ------------------
    Dan

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

There are no new boxes coming other than the Zenith that just shipped. Though it has good picture quality, I am not sure it has any advantage over the others. It was rumored that the Zenith would output both 480i and 1080i at the same time. It turns out, it can't do this. So, there really is nothing new.
    Not everyone agrees, but I have two DTC-100's and I think they are as good as the others and half the price.
    SMK