What's new

Any new news on "The Quiet Man" yet? (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I know Paramount got The Quiet Man along with other Republic Pictures titles. The last I heard of anything, some company was working on sound restoration but supposedly the real film elements are still in good shape - although you wouldn't know it by the crappy current Artisan DVD version that keeps re-using the same fuzzy VHS transfer from some 20 years ago.

That news about the sound was from nearly a year ago now.

Anyone know anything new?

I tried searching but The Quiet Man has not come up in any recent posts, unless I missed something.

Thanks

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I assume you are talking about The Quiet Man with John Wayne. It was released back in 2002 on dvd but it appears to be unavailable right now.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have two favorite John Wayne films; ironically, neither are Westerns (this, and Donovan's Reef). IMO, both could stand to have new video masters; Quiet Man, in particular, was especially lacking in quality in its initial release. Here's hoping they'll give that lush Irish scenery the care it deserves next time.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Yes, I'm talking about the John Ford/John Wayne The Quiet Man - I see I misspelled it - twice - in the first post, sorry about that (at least I got it right in the thread title). I'll correct that. Never mind, I can't seem to edit my first post up there

The 2002 Artisan DVD uses the same transfer as the '99 Artisan DVD, which uses the same fuzzy transfer done in '92 of a really bad print for the laserdisc box and VHS tape. Since Artisan seemed to never give a flip, I'm hoping Paramount (who seems to generally care quite a bit more) will finally do the film justice.

I was just wondering if anyone heard anything more about how it's going since last year.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Actually artisan did give a flip, very much they gave a flip. But paramount wanted to make money of their eventual future release of quiet man and refused artisan any access to better materials. Artisan had the video release rights but paramount owned the film materials.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we're beginning to see Paramount dip into the Republic holdings - the '70 Julius Caesar later this month, and at least a couple sites claim a half a dozen or so others (Body and Soul, Letter From an Unknown Woman, Secret Beyond the Door, etc) are coming in May, but I haven't seen them avalable for preorder yet. I wonder if Robert Harris has some insight - I seem to recall he felt fairly strongly that Paramount would do right by this and High Noon (among others) when the rights reverted.

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
Just watched this film today for the first time and had to do the requisite "any news yet?" thread resurrection...Any movement at Paramount?

I'm at least looking forward to watching all the O'Hara special features on the current "special edition" dvd. Transfer was pretty bad, but I was at least able to enjoy the movie.

With the onslaught of the Ford at Fox releases, hopefully Paramount might see fit to get some movement going on this film.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see an "ultra" restoration of this title done with digital 3-strip registration as with Oz and Singin' in the Rain.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its now firmly entrenched in Lions Gate's death grip. I expect nothing to come out of it.

RobertGr

Second Unit
On The Quiet Man - I remember Robert Harris replied once here to my question about the film he said that UCLA did a proper restoration of the film that is just sitting there. So a restored version exists and all we need is Paramount to get off their brains and release the film in a version that does it justice!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Silly me for hoping the resurrection of this thread would reveal any new release info. Sadly, it's just another fan wondering when it's going to get a restoration. So many of us have been waiting for YEARS for a fully restored version only to have our pleas fall on deaf ears. Paramount disgusts me. They fail in all areas of the movie industry. You will NEVER see a better version of this as long as the current management is in control. Sad, so very sad.

P.S. If anyone does get legit news of a restored version please start a new thread titled:"The Quiet Man: Fully Restored Version Coming To DVD!" If only I live long enough to see that day.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Maybe if Toshiba offers to pay them $150 million to release it properly, they'll see the value of doing it.

Just couldn't resist!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks