What's new

Any new Midnite Movies? (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
A Witchfinder General/Burn Witch Burn! Midnite Movie double feature would be fantastic!

Also

The Gorgon/Twins of Evil (one source I read lists the US rights under UA another under Universal - if so why didn't it make it into the Universal Hammer set from last year?)

or maybe fox would be willing to throw a few of their own into the line:

Twins of Evil/Vampire Circus (Fox?)

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Just goes to show, no matter how many films are on DVD, there are always loads more to want...

At least we've had Twins of Evil and Vampire Circus here in the UK (as part of a set with Countess Dracula). That set is out of print, but there's a new "special edition" of Twins of Evil and Countess Dracula out so I expect Vampire Circus will follow.

There are also new editions of Hands of the Ripper and The Uncanny releasing here.

You have the largest and best catalogue in r1-land, but it is always worth looking at other regions to check.

A multiregion player is your friend for life.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Wasn't "The Gorgon" released by Columbia? Sony is sitting on a bunch of Hammers, drat them.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
There are four Hammer films where they partnered with the Rank Organisation for financing -- VAMPIRE CIRCUS, COUNTESS DRACULA (both released in the U.S. by Fox), TWINS OF EVIL, and HANDS OF THE RIPPER (the latter two released in the U.S. by Universal). Both Fox and Universal's rights to these films have expired and gone back to the former Rank, what is now Granada.

MGM has U.S. DVD rights to these from a long-term license the former Samuel Goldwyn Company made with the former Rank. Only one, COUNTESS DRACULA, has been released, as a double feature with AIP's VAMPIRE LOVERS.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I have thought about it, but for me there are many factors against getting a multi-Region player:

1. PAL (speedup) converted to NTSC is somewhat distracting to me.

2. Multi-Region players seem to have the most problems playing certain problematic discs (Uni's DVD-18's among others) - A big minus

3. I have 4 separate displays w/DVD players (2 are full blown HT set-ups w/ top of the line Pioneer and Denon players) all of which I use. Do I buy 4 Multi-Region players so I can watch these on any of my set-ups or get 1 Multi-region player and limit myself to watching these discs (non-R1) on just one of my displays? Neither option is desirable.

4. Lack of support for English subtitles (or CC) on non-R1 releases.

5. There are only a slight handful of my most wanted available from other Regions, many others aren't available at all on legit DVD anywhere.

6. Some of the titles that are available in other Regions are reportedly not up to par (Witchfinder General, African Queen, etc)

7. More than likely I'd end up buying the (non-R1) titles again if they do get released in R1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks