What's new

Any new dvd recorders coming out??.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Besides the Panasonic. Are their any other stand alone dvd recorders coming out that will sell for under a $1000??

Thanks!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was all set to go and get the Panasonic. Figuring it was the latest and cheapest. Then I read the following review from cnet. It gave it good remarks. Except for the last sentence...

"If you're not a high-end consumer or a borderline videophile, though, your best bet is to wait for the next generation of recorders, which are due out by late 2002 and promise to be less expensive and somewhat more versatile."

I know it's just like computers. As soon as you buy a computer. A new one comes out that is cheaper and better. But, does anyone know if it will be a big difference in both features and cost??

Hi, I read your post and yes, my reply is over due, I just read yours actually.

I have read on DVD recorders, and just like you wanted one badly. But I read some reviews recently, and put me off.

The deal breaker for me was tat at the moment, the recording quality is not very good, almost VHS quality, and it some, actually worse. Which is a huge bummer for me. I have a stack of Simpsons episodes that I would love to transefere to DVD, but if im getting the same quality, if not worse, why bother?

No big surprise here is that it only records 2 channels, I kinda expected that, but that copupled with the crappy quality, I'll hold off till the future.

Glenn

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

I was surprised to hear you say that. I have heard that if you record at the 2hr speed. The quality is very good. My concerns were more that the price would drop considerably and that some other cool feature would be available.

Hi todd,
Yes, you are right. The DVD recording quality on the 1-2hr form is pretty good. I wrote thinking all of you knew me. See, I only record TV shows and I always you the ep mode on the VCR (6hr Mode). Given the quality of the "EP" mode on the DVD reocrders, it's not worth it for me. Sorry to have mistated. Actually, if you are interested, buy the latest copy of Sound and Vision magazine, on the cover it says something about DVD recorders. I read the whole article, very informative, which is where I came up with my conclusion. You may actually find that article on their website www.soundandvisionmag.com.
So you see, me being someone who has collection of TV shows on VHS in the ep mode, its not worth it for me to to invest in dvd recorders just yet.The expense of the DVD discs alone to reocrd just an hours worth is just not feasable. \
Glenn:b

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

You are a lot like me. I tape a lot of tv shows. I have a 10x10 room with all the walls filled with tapes of shows and movies. Most shows I tape at slp. But, a few shows that I really like (ie-Trek,B5,Batman anim.) I tape at sp. So I do like the idea of saving those to dvd.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Todd, I have a Panasonic DMR-E20 -- and also a 12X12 room that is my media storage vault. It's loaded with tapes, discs and film reels. I can relate! :)
My two-hour recordings look exactly like whatever source material I'm dubbing. I haven't used the 4 hour mode yet, but I'm told that it would be better than acceptable for dubbing VHS material recorded at SLP. I'm also told that the 6 hour mode on the E20 is unacceptable for any use.
I'll try some VHS dubs in four hour mode soon.

Great Mike let usknow what the 4hr mode quality is like. Reading about it and actually seeing it are 2 different things. But still the 6 hr modeis what i'd be looking to record on, which I know is unacceptable. Hoipefully as the next generation of recorders come out that will improve to at least VHS standards.

BTW, Todd and Mike, out of pure curiosity, the shows that you have on tape, do you edit out the commercials at all? If Im home, I'll tape it on to my master tape when the shows air and pause when a commercial comes on, otherwise, when I dubb, I edit out the commercials. So on one VHS tape, I have about 17-18 half hour episodes. Works out great. True the quality is not the best as it would be on SP, but it's ggood enough for me. I still have a ton of tapes as it is. Can you imagine, if I taped on on 2hr modes?

Glenn

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I have the Panasonic DMR-E20, which I love.
New DVD recorders coming this year:
- Link Removed (March '02)
- Link Removed (Probably Fall '02)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

To answer your question. If I am watching the show while taping I will take out the commercials. The only time taking out the commercials helps is when I am taping a show at SLP. I can usually get 7 1hr episodes on a 6hr tape. But, it does not matter that much when taping at SP. I don't recopy shows to take out the commercials. What I do is get the 10 packs of vhs tapes at BJ's club for around 10 bucks. Then I bought(in bulk) the clear plastic cases with the plastic sleeve that covers the whole case. Then I make covers with the logo of the show on the side and front along with a volume number, episode titles and a picture from the show. I used Microsoft Publisher to make them.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just found out that their is a new stand alone dvd burner out in Japan from Panasonic. The DMR-HS1 has a built in HD for saving info. You can import it directly from www.pricejapan.com for around $1300. If you go to the avs forum their are people their that are talking about it. I have no idea when it will be available in the US.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that you said that you use Microsoft Publisher to make vidoe covers for your tapes. I do the same thing, I would like to se some of the covers you have made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks