Any need to add carpet spikes to a SVS PB12-ISD?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Pine, Nov 4, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I have very deep carpet plus thick padding and I’m considering buying one. I can’t find a picture of the feet on the PB12. I didn’t know if the feet would just hang in the carpet fibers. My large listening area (23'Lx18W'x14H') is above an, almost as large, two-car garage. I guess I just like the idea of spikes going through the carpet and contacting the sub-floor with my sub. I added spikes to my Velo CHT-12 and it did improve the impact response slightly. Anyone ever added spikes to this or a similar unit? Any other feedback would also be appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IIRC, Tom or Ron discussed this previously and said it doesn't make much difference with this sub, or they would have included spikes.

3. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Understood...thanks John.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On my previous sub, adding spikes seemed to help it out, because it was just sitting directly on the floor; no feet at all, and I guess it was vibrating the floor a lot. The spikes cleaned up bass noticeably, or rather stopped the extra vibrations in the floor. My current sub has feet on it already, so no spikes.

5. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion I dont think it would make a difference with the SVS because the woofer is firing into the bottom plate and not directly into the floor. Most subs don't have the bottom plate so if you have very thick carpeting you may have very little clearance and the woofer could actually hit the carpet if there is a deep excursion. This would not happen with the SVS. You would have the same clearance to the surface that it is firing on regardless if it was 2 or 6 inches off of the Ground.

Greg