Any musicians around here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnE, Sep 15, 2002.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

OK, I've been playing guitar for close to 20 years. I don't play in a band, but do hang out with friends now and then and jam and drink a few beers.[​IMG]
    Lately I been thinking about expanding a bit and picking up a workstation to mess around with. I'm looking at the Korg Trinity series, but at $1200 and up, I don't know if it's a good investment for a curious beginner. But then again that's how I ended up with a guitar, and I never looked back from that investment.
    Anyone use one of these have any advice? I'm open to suggestions on different models as well. I can afford up to about $1500, but that dosen't mean I want to spend that much.[​IMG] Thanks.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I've played bass for... 8 years (but stopped a few years ago), and i've played guitar for 7 years (im 16 right now).
    Im not very good, becuase i've never had any real lessons, but im pretty decent. I know chords and stuff.
    I'm TRYING to start a band, but my friends who play stuff dont know the kind of music i like to play, so its tough. And my bassist, he's a good friend, but frick, he has no commitment and is always busy. We've practiced once so far, it wasn't TOO bad, but it was far from good. I REALLY wanna get a band going just to perform for the school, or in the area, but like i said, my band-mates dont know the songs very well, and they're always busy [​IMG]
    Anyways, sorry, i just play guitars, i havent researched any, so i can't answer your question. Im still playing on a cheap novice Samick Strat-style guitar and a cheapo no-name 'Vantage' amp. I got a BOSS DS-1 dist pedal i got for my birthday last year though [​IMG]
    Im thnking of selling my old bass, my amp, and my guitar for a new Fender Strat and a Fender amp. I've just got the idea, havent considered it yet.

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

4. Brad_Shifflett

Hey Nick, let me know if you are planning to sell your bass or not, I may be interested. Let me know what type you got and how much you plan on getting rid of it for.

Brad

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im dying to play with a band again, but its hard nowadays. when we were younger it was easy but now people are volunteer firmen or have wives and kis and its harder fo them to commit some time to it.

My g/f and I decided we're gonna try to make some guitars. Ive been doing alot of research on the subject. 3/4 Set Thru neck construction, with carved maple tops. ill let you guys know how they come out.

7. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I haven't had any hands-on experience with the Korg Trinity.

However, I'm part of my church's Sunday choir ensemble that includes an electric bass, acoustic guitars, accordion, piano (me), and four-part voices. The chap who plays electric bass is an accomplished musician who plays with various bands and in clubs/restaurants.

When I was shopping around for a keyboard, he asked his keyboard-playing buddy for suggestions and the Trinity came up. I did a little research on the Internet and found out that the Trinity has quite a following as a synthesizer and performance-in-a-band instrument. There are a lot of fans of this and its various music modules.

Since I was more interested in the best approximation to a real grand piano in terms of feel and sound generation on a full-size 88-key keyboard, I stayed away. By the way, I bought a Yamaha P-80. A nice bonus is that I can hook it up to my computer and use Virtual Instruments to get into synthesis and sampling to create a myriad of sounds (intrumental and other) by using the P-80 as my controller.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Depending on your resourcefulness- you could actually get similar functionality for free or nearly free. Many folks I know have very simple midi equipped keyboard units, and wire them into PC and trigger MIDI to soft synth programs. You can patch nearly any soft synth into an application like Cakewalk- and use the cheap keyboard to trigger.

Multitracking with nearly any instrument sound, limitless variability, and minimal investment. The only real expense is the software- and many people produce free and trial versions which will work.

If you go hunting, who knows what you'll find...

-V

9. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Doh, I can't believe I didn't think about using my pc!!! Thanks for the suggestions guys.

10. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    John,
    I've used a Yamaha PSR type keyboard and Cakewalk for 5 years, and it's been great. The Yamaha was aroudn $500.00, and the cakewalk was . . . ahem, a gift! I've done a lot of sequencing on the computer, and love doing it.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

hmm, I've been thinking of taking up bass too. My fingers are really too stubby for guitar, and the few times I've tried bass I liked the feel

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Brad: I dont think my bass is what you're looking for.. Its a Jr bass i got when i was in grade 5, its just about 2 or 3 inches taller than my normal strat electric guitar, so its small.

13. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    you may want to check out http://www.homerecording.com/bbs . I'm in a similar situation where I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I may go with the Korg D1600 for around $1000. Also, Akai makes a DSP16 that runs for just less than $1000 at http://shreveaudio.com/ There are a ton of options out there. As far as the soundblaster is concerned, most people on those board do not care for them.
    I'm probably going to be upgrading my computer at home as soon as dvd writable drives come down a bit more in price. I may go for a total mac solution as well. Only problem with a pc is that it is not portable. So if you want to go to your friends house, you are stuck. But there are always work arounds.

14. Randall Duncan

Randall Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Does a 16-year-old drummer in the beginner stages who has played
    for over a year and learned on his own based on the music of
    Rush and Yes count as a musician?
    I would like to note that I'm more of a hobbyist drummer. [​IMG]
    Click on the link in my sig to see me and my little drumkit.
    It's a pretty cool little kit for the budget I have.