Any MP3 Playing DVD players that don't skip?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay_R, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jay_R

Jay_R Auditioning

I want it all, namely a 5-disc DVD, CDW/CD-R, MP3 player. I had bought a Panasonic CV51, but it skipped alot. So much so that I took it back. Then I heard that DVD's that play MP3s tend to skip more cause the MP3 requires the laser to run at lower speed/frequency.

So, what I want to know is...

Is this true?...Are all MP3/CD-R/CD-W/DVDs prone to skip? Or, is there a descent brand out there? If so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

2. Bryan Williams

I too have a Panasonic DVD player (RP91). The skipping you are describing is probably not skipping as per say, but is likely related to the encoding method you are using to encode your MP3's. I am not 100% sure what encoding causes the problem, but the majority of the problems I have experienced have been caused by LAME encoding and is related to the setting involving stereo (ie "Joint Stereo"). Whenever I get music that skips I reencode with Musicmatch Jukebox at the same bitrate and the MP3's then play just fine. This has been discussed in other threads and my understanding in also that LAME encoding will work, but one of the default settings is wreaking havoc on some DVD players. Although I am not 100% certain what setting is causing the problem, I am pretty darn sure that a different encoding will solve you problem.

Regards

Bryan

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I recently bought an RCA RP8078 5-disc CD/MP3 changer. Almost all of my MP3s (almost 4000) are not encoded using LAME encoders, rather AudioCatalyst by Xing. Even with this, I still have lots of audio dropouts/skips no matter what bitrate the files have been encoded with. The most common for errors though is 320kbps. I have kept the changer for an additional few days to try out different types of CD-Rs on it. Right now, I am using 80Min/700MB discs, but I am going to try putting together a couple discs using 74Min/650MB CD-Rs and see if that makes any difference.
    Here's the review I posted. I did not include a review of the Musicmatch Jukebox software that came with the changer, but I tried it out later and found it very poorly put together and not the most user-friendly.
    If it takes re-encoding all 4000 of my MP3s with the Musicmatch Jukebox just so I can play them efficiently on the changer, then RCA is more insane than Blockbuster.

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Jay,

I don't know if there is a multi-disk model from Pioneer but I personally have the DV-444 and it has played several of my MP3 CD-Rs with no skips or other problems at all.

On top of that the Pioneer models are the only DVD players that I know that have on-screen file name display up to 7 characters for MP3s and folders, random play and I believe you can even set up play lists.

Brian

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jay,

I own the CV51 and I have never experianced ANY skipping

problem. Skipping is a physicaly induced misread of the laser

by jaring the player. This should be a NON issue with any

home player.

I think what you are experiancing are encoding glitches that

will occour with ANY player reguardless of price or manufacturer.

I have certain songs that exhibit audio dropouts due to poor

encoding and it happens on every player I have ever used them

with.

You got rid of a great DVD player IMHO.

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Try burning at slower speeds. CD writing that is. When I burn CD-RWs at 4x, I get dropouts also. Dropped the recording speed to 2x and it worked fine. I have not done a lot of burning to verify if this is always true, but it seemed to work for me for the few times that I have done this. BTW, I am using LAME with the best VBR switch setting.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas