What's new

Any more Studio Ghibli from Disney? (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Did Disney cease their Studio Ghibli releases? I dutifully collected them as they came out a while back, but there's been this lull (the last release being, what, two years ago now?), and so several films remain unreleased. There's Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, and the new Tales from Earthsea. Also, Princess Mononoke could use a re-release.

Has there been any word? My Ghibli collection is incomplete.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ponyo on a Cliff should be here in either 2009 or 2010.

Tales of Earthsea can't released here until Lionsgate's licence of the Earthsea property expires next year.

Only Yesterday has been dubbed, Disney just hasn't expressed any interest in releasing it. Would be a good Criterion rescue though.

The Ocean Waves/I Can Hear the Sea rights was apparantly not initially included in the package Disney acquired from Tokuma Shoten (as with Grave of the Fireflies). They have however since issued it on dvd in R2, so most likely Disney views it as a potential under seller (no "name" director, little action, etc.) and is ignoring an R1 release purely for that reason.

There you go.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that educated response. Sounds grim, though... One would think that the name Studio Ghibli would be enough for these to sell.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ponyo is in theaters this month.

the two trailers make it like 2 different movies.
the teaser seems like a light new take on the little mermaid and says so in the teaser, the trailer seems like the ocean is rebelling and Ponyo has to save the world.

IanUngstad

Grip
All these titles are going out of print? Anyone know if the Ghibli films are going to be rereleased in new editions?

IanUngstad

Grip
Has Disney lost the rights to the Ghibli library? I know that Ponyo just came out...but could the older titles be going out of print because the license has expired?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://www.ghibliworld.com/

^according to that there are Region2 box sets that exists on ebay and so on. but not here. and the ones that are here are obviously R1. there is a rumoured boxset of Blu-Ray versions of these movies =). that'd rock.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I still hope that one day the Criterion Collection will step up to the plate and say "Hey can we have some of these?" Princess Mononoke at the very least could use that level of treatment.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would hope that if Criterion were to ever license animated film, they would dig a bit deeper than the Ghibli films and free some of Warners, MGMs, Columbias Golden Age animation that have been vaulted away for decades...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks