Any more My Little Margie?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark To, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I liked the 2 sets of 12 episodes each that VCI put out but that still leaves about 100 episodes of one of the all-time funniest shows. You couldn't watch TV in the 60s or 70s without running into it. I didn't have cable in the 80s but it had a good long run on CBN. So even young-uns that grew up in the 80s should know it.

2. CherylWI

CherylWI Stunt Coordinator

I remember watching "My Little Margie" and "Oh, Susannah!" very early in the morning back in the early sixties. I'd love to see another set come out, as I already have the other two.

3. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I sure hope VCI releases some more volumes. Never did figure out if they made a deal to release those, or whether they were public domain. Whatever the case, the prints VCI used were quite excellent. The show might be dated in certain ways (especially the way it was filmed, more akin to little b-feature films of the era), but I always have enjoyed it. Something about Charles Farrell's goofy mannerisms (when he starts to fret over something, or gets flustered about Margie's boyfriend Freddie) always makes me laugh. Indeed, I became a fan of the series via CBN's late-night sitcom lineup in the 1980s.

4. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    It's a shame this show disappeared after the 80's. It definitely was very addicting even if it seemed dated. Gale Storm was then, and still is, a very beautiful woman. Throw in the very talented Willie Best and future Palm Springs Mayor Charlie Farrell along with one of my favorite B-movie actors, Clarence Kolb, and you've got a series that I would support on DVD.

Steve

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Sadly, news has come today that Gale Storm has passed away. A beautiful and talented actress & singer who will be missed.

I'd still buy authorized season sets of My Little Margie if they were done correctly. It's a shame such sets have never materialized.

6. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I've expected for years that Mill Creek would come up with Season Sets of "My Little Margie" and "I Married Joan," the two great "I Love Lucy" wannabes. But I'm starting to despair that it will ever happen. [​IMG]

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Good point about "Joan"...another staple of the CBN network and an enjoyable show in its own right. Jim Backus was good in just about anything he ever did.

Mill Creek would be a logical choice for these releases. Neither show had an enormous amount of episodes (Margie around 130; Joan around 110) and would be ideal candidates for those bargain "mega sets" Mill Creek likes.

8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

This show kind of falls through the cracks. Technically it's not P.D. It was owned by Roland Reed Productions and the copyrights were renewed when the 28 years were up. However, I don't believe Mr. Reed is with us any longer and I've never heard about him having any heirs. And the syndicator of the show, Weiss Global, is defunct and Adrian Weiss is deceased. So who even knows what happened to the prints. Probably why we haven't seen any extensive releases. The rights are questionable and the prints are elusive.

9. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I have the two VCI sets too, and would love more. RIP Gale. :-(

10. docdoowop

docdoowop Second Unit

Just now rewatching the VCI sets. It's so refreshing to not have a laugh-track telling you what's funny.

11. pghjerry

pghjerry Extra

well if you get Margie, I want my Joan

12. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    I wonder if the syndication rights might have ended up with SFM entertainment, which distributes The Life and Legend Of Wyatt Earp, The Real McCoys, and various other shows.