What's new

Any More Love Boat? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
The Love Boat was regarded,among people in the industry,as a "lightwieght,fluff show" and,because of that ,may not to high up on CBS/Paramount's pecking order. I mean why release more seasons when they can resume releasing seasons of more serious shows like The Untouchables and Streets Of San Francisco,which had their last seasons released in 2008 and 2009,respectively.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Stephen Wight said:
The Love Boat was regarded,among people in the industry,as a "lightwieght,fluff show" and,because of that ,may not to high up on CBS/Paramount's pecking order. I mean why release more seasons when they can resume releasing seasons of more serious shows like The Untouchables and Streets Of San Francisco,which had their last seasons released in 2008 and 2009,respectively.
Well, first of all, Streets season 3 is coming out in less than two weeks.
There is only one reason for a studio to release DVDs - people buy them.
serious shows? what the heck has that got to do with anything?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I dunno; but there's lots of serious, heavy dramas on dvd like the Kardashians and Jersey Shore. Maybe that's what he meant...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Glad I decided to get the first half season (Region 1) volume set of The Love Boat. Of what I've seen of it (and that theme tune is stuck in my head!) it's very cheesy, but has a charm about it that makes it difficult to not like it.

What is the picture/print quality like on Sony's Region 1 set of Charlie's Angels' fourth season? Was interested in that season because it started off with a two-part crossover with The Love Boat.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WaveCrest said:
What is the picture/print quality like on Sony's Region 1 set of Charlie's Angels' fourth season? Was interested in that season because it started off with a two-part crossover with The Love Boat.
I just popped my set in to check, and the quality is quite good, like the rest of the late 70s shows.
The episodes start with a simple Charlie's Angels opening, not the Love Boat theme,
but not the usual opening.
Part one runs about 50 mins, part two starts with exactly the same opening credits and the same
opening scene as part 1, and jumps to sort of a badly edited replay of scenes from part one,
with no commentary or narration of any kind that indicates where part two continues, it's kind of weird.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by derosa /t/293984/any-more-love-boat#post_3956486
I just popped my set in to check, and the quality is quite good, like the rest of the late 70s shows.
The episodes start with a simple Charlie's Angels opening, not the Love Boat theme,
but not the usual opening.
Part one runs about 50 mins, part two starts with exactly the same opening credits and the same
opening scene as part 1, and jumps to sort of a badly edited replay of scenes from part one,
with no commentary or narration of any kind that indicates where part two continues, it's kind of weird.

Is this how the two-part crossover was originally shown on ABC?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WaveCrest said:
Is this how the two-part crossover was originally shown on ABC?
No, from what I read on one of the fan sites, it's the syndicated version.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see more "The Love Boat". Any chance that we could get more seasons (3 would be next). Season 2 was released in 2009, so...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
After getting a half-dozen of my most wanted episodes spanning Seasons 4-8 from a mixture of original broadcast and foreign recordings (if ever there was a reason for me to hate PAL speedup most, it's hearing it ruin the theme song!), my need for more seasons of this is increasing! Of course it was lightweight junk TV, but it was nice reassuring comfort fare for a Saturday night where you could see nothing but familiar faces every week. This and Fantasy Island both needs to be completed on DVD at long last.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jack P said:
After getting a half-dozen of my most wanted episodes spanning Seasons 4-8 from a mixture of original broadcast and foreign recordings (if ever there was a reason for me to hate PAL speedup most, it's hearing it ruin the theme song!), my need for more seasons of this is increasing! Of course it was lightweight junk TV, but it was nice reassuring comfort fare for a Saturday night where you could see nothing but familiar faces every week. This and Fantasy Island both needs to be completed on DVD at long last.
What I don't get about PAL speedup is why they don't use a digital pitch shifter to correct the audio? There's lots of stuff out there now to do it and 4% certainly isn't a very big adjustment. My NLE could do 4% artifact-free easily. ?????

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I guess these episodes that air in syndication have 5 mins or so cut out of them?
I've seen a few of them with run times of like 43 minutes, whereas the DVDs
are more like 49 minutes.

Also, season 2 and 4 have a number of 90 min episodes i've seen hacked back
to a much shorter run time to fit in a regular broadcast. Basically, i'm saying -
please please please release us more dvd's!!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The DVDs that have already been released appear to be entering OOP territory, according to Amazon, so that isn't a good sign for more releases either...

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jon, nothing to report as of your posting. I think it's stuck in the vaults for a while or so longer. Same with Fantasy Island.
Constantly Being Stalled at its finest!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The show's 50th anniversary is in 2027! (though I suppose that's a more realistic date for a release at this rate).

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
The DVDs that have already been released appear to be entering OOP territory, according to Amazon, so that isn't a good sign for more releases either...[
The DVDs that have already been released appear to be entering OOP territory, according to Amazon, so that isn't a good sign for more releases either...
Perhaps this means Paramount may be going to liscense out The Love Boat to VEI like they did other shows like The Mid Squad, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones. If this would happen then perhaps the whole series would be released.
Take Care!
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks