Any More Barney Miller Coming?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by R. Kay, Sep 7, 2004.

1. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Season 1 came out a long while back. Any word on Season 2 and beyond?

Great show. Terrific Writing. Great ensemble cast.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Given that it's columbia one never knows but they generally have long periods between their set.

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

True, but "What's Happening" and "Soap" came out after "Barney Miller" and are already at Season 2. I think what's happened on the delayed release here is even worse than what Fox has done with MTM since "Barney Miller's" first season is just a very paltry 13 episodes and not even close to hitting it's stride yet in terms of series development.

4. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I think Soap has a bigger cult and What's Happening had greater syndicated strength but I would like more Barney Miller.

5. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

If Season Two of Barney Miller does come out, I hope they do a better job than they did with Season One.

6. Valerie

Valerie Auditioning

I'm a new member here and glad that someone else is worried about Columbia TriStar's delay with their TV releases.

I also have Season 1 of Barney Miller, along with the first 2 seasons of Mad About You. I just don't understand why Columbia is taking so long to release these series. All the other companies: WB, Paramount, and 20th Cen. Fox (just to name a few) release their various TV series onto DVD at least twice a year - and they often come with extras, too! What do we get from Columbia TriStar...nothing but bare-bones discs that we have to wait over a year for.

I will gladly buy any future seasons of Mad About You and Barney Miller, but I do wish Columbia would step up the pace with their releases.

7. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Time to bump this thread up again to point out that Columbia's most maddening behavior with a 70s sitcom isn't All In The Family or Jeffersons, it's this one. We're coming up soon on nearly one full year since the very skimpy Season 1 was released and there is still no indication of a Season 2 looming anytime soon on the horizon.

8. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

This is par for the course where Columbia/Tristar is concerned. Their TV release schedules are all over the place.

9. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I know but "Barney Miller" is right now the only sitcom they've released stuck on a Season 1, which is the most annoying thing. Everything else I can think of (70s sitcoms) has at least gotten to Season 2 with Columbia.

10. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I was going to purchase this for my father but I've waited since Season 2 was never released. Were sales of Season 1 that poor?

11. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Barney Miller was overpriced in my opinion which probably hurt sales. $30 for 13 half hours seems steep when the same $30 will buy you 30+ half hours for other vintage sitcoms.

For shows whose first seasons are 13 episodes or less I wish more studios would package S1 & S2 together. It would cost a few dollars more, but the consumer would feel they're getting a better value. It would also appease those buyers who do the "waiting to buy S1 until S2 comes out" thing.

Steve

12. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Time to bump this up again just to note that now that All In The Family and Jeffersons are getting new seasons at last, can we finally see at long last a Season 2 of this????? Having only 13 episodes to go back to with the show's development barely in its infancy has really been just as frustrating as if there'd been no release of Season 1 at all.

13. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Count me in also for S2 of this one. I've been wondering the same thing myself but I wasn't aware of teh history on Columbia's release track record. Thanks for the info. I guess we wait.....[​IMG]

14. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer

Doug Wallen
    I am eagerly awaiting more of this show. I introduced it to my son last year with the release of season 1 and he has been asking me if I know of future season releases. I would love to give him some positive news. Come on Columbia, make us happy, please.

I need some more Fish and Yemana, need to see Harris working on his novel and really need to see more of the Inspector.

15. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

And with Season 2 the first appearance of Dietrich (after Steve Landesberg made one other appearance as a phony priest) and the first appearance of Ron Carey (not as Levitt but as a crook that Harris and Wojo fall in the sewer chasing to funny effect when they return all covered in slime).