What's new

Any military dudes here? (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I have been stationed at Incirlik Air Base in Southeastern Turkey (home of operation northern watch) for the past 12 months and it has been a cool assignment thus far. Are there any others here that have been a part of our war against terror? It would be nice to know if another audiophile is also busy mowing down Al-Quaeda :D

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I've been in the states thus far. Keeping an eye on the homeland with our big white jets. I will be going back to sea duty in about 6 months, so i'll get my chance, but it will be on a boat(6 months with no HT:frowning: )
Mike

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
Not to be off topic...
Hey just wanted to say a big THANK YOU .
You guys be careful out there, and thanks for serving our country. :emoji_thumbsup: Keep up the fine work.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am not in the military, but I am when I play Medal of Honor. :)
Keep up the good work guys and make sure you come home safe and sound. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Niel
I'm currently in Kuwait (Al Jaber AB - Home of Operation Southern Watch and some OEF missions also) - I'm half-way done with my 90 day TDY here from my home Station of McChord AFB in Seattle, WA. Spending the past 1 1/2 months away from my wife has been tough...and there are lots of rumors that alot of us here now in my career field (Weather) will be extended another 90 days....that would mean 6 months away from home and away from my wife...which will be very hard. :frowning: Hopefully, those rumors are not true and won't come true anytime soon...
Before McChord...I was at Keesler (Bilxi, MS) for about a year...and before that...I spent two lovely years at Incirlik AB, Turkey myself. My wife and I really enjoyed living in Turkey...and we are actually trying to make that our next assignment again, early next year, when I'm eligible to leave McChord AFB.
Here in Kuwait, I wish we had a BX like the one there at Incirlik! Ours is tiny!
Make sure you do a trip to Cappadocia before you leave Incirlik...my wife and I went twice...and loved it.
Take care!

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit

Need I say More. For all of you who are out there right now and for all who haved served before. THANKS:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
To quote Hill street Blues
"NOW LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Stay safe and play nice guys and gals in the armed forces... We all want you to return soon but appreciate all your work that you do for us civies.

I work on secure datalink communications software/systems for a major aerospace company and I loved hearing field reports from Yugoslavia and from Desert Storm how our systems helps situational awareness and protects our's and allied force's pilots from enemy harm.

Thanks,
Jay

KyleS

Screenwriter

Have to also chime in and thank all current, previous, and Future defenders of our country/freedom . You guys/gals are the best and we are all very very proud of the sacrifices you are making for the World.
KyleS

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I agree with the others. Thanks guys for everything you do . I know its tough out there. I have a few friends in different branches of the armed forces so i know its difficult when your away from family for a while

thanks
capt

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
it's cool to meet another HTFer that has been to Incirlik. We also have been to Capadoccia and it was wonderful. We also left our money at the carpet place we went to :) . We've also been to Ankarra, Antalya, Goreme, kizkalesi (we'll probably rent a house down there). We still have a lot to visit.
There are many 90 day guys that have stayed 180 days. They've been extending people left and right, but that seems to have slowed down a little. Still, the base is very full right now, and we are running out of space.
We are still in Force Protection Charlie but we get used to it. It becomes routine, but we always stay vigilant.
I plan on being here till july 2004 so if you make it back here lemme know.
JL

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Will do Niel!

I spent a ton of $$$ on carpets while my wife and I were there also!

While I was there (towards the end of my 2 years) we went to FP DELTA - and that wasn't too much fun at all...we could only go off base for a couple hours here and there...and things got pretty old - pretty quick. We were going to extend 1 year there...but we changed our minds once we went to DELTA. Looking back now, we should have stayed as long as we could have!

Some friends of ours rented a house down by Kizkalesi also, and we went there almost every weekend just to hang out.

The earliest we can get back is OCT/NOV of 2003....but we will try to get there as soon as we can. I just hope Incirlik shows up on my Overseas assignment list in February (when it's released).

I miss having a gardener to mow my lawn, fix anything, and wash my car daily also....I'm sure I could hire somebody to do all that now...but not for $20-$25 like I paid in Turkey!

Take care!

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
It will be very hard coming back to the states where I will have no gardener and no maid. We do live well here. My wife and I are thinking of extending 1 year. Hell, the tax break is incentive enough. We're managing to put away a fair amount of money. Sadly, only a tiny portion of that went into HT :D
let me know in Feb if you're coming back
JL
I've had enough ADANA KEBAPS to last me a lifetime

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I don't suppose you have any non-classified pictures of your base that you could post here. I would love to see what it looks like in Turkey and in Kuwait.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Aaron
Check out my webpage via the following link for some pictures from Turkey:
Link Removed
I don't have any pictures from Kuwait yet...but I'll add what I have once I return to the states, whenever that is....which better be soon!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Was previously in the Air Force and logged in many hours at Prince Sultan AB and several in Kuwait and Oman (Many times from 95 to 99). Stay safe and collect the hazard pay with Pride! :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Like others here, I'm not in the military, but I want to say a big thank you to all past and present members of the armed forces. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well...my 90 day tour here in Kuwait just got longer :frowning:
I'm now here for at least 135 days and it could be bumped up from there, to 179 days, between now and then.
My wife is not too happy...and neither am I. Coming in, I knew this was a possibility, so I'm not totally devastated by the extension...but it's still hard to be positive about it at all.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, you're not the only one. As I said before, all the 90 day guys here were extended. It just really sucks that you have to stay in that heat longer. Hang in there buddy. It'll make coming home that much sweeter.

JL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks