Any Midnight Club II players?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Michael St. Clair, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Michael St. Clair

Is anybody playing this game? Online? Would love to hear some impressions from fellow members...

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

And please specify either XBL or PS2 online. I have MCII for PS2 but I'm wondering if the online play is worth the price of the adapter.

3. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually thinking about picking this one up later today (XBOX Version). It has gotten generally good reviews and it appears the online component is pretty solid if lacking alot of modes (per the IGN review)... But not sure as MM3 is out in like 10 days. If I do get it I'll post impressions over the weekend

4. Michael St. Clair

Well, Midnight Club is supposed to be at least somewhat of a racing game with the correct options, MMM3 sounds like more of a driving-only game.

I probably will wait and see.

What I really want is a road (or road plus oval) car racing game with online capability. I'm talking F1, CART, ALMS, BTCC or something of the same ilk.

And I'd like a game with several HTF players. The general public is too irritating.

Yeah, I know. MotoGP2. I really prefer four wheels, though.

5. James St

James St Supporting Actor

6. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

I have the PS2 version. I'm about 1/2 way through career mode. I go online, usually after doing some of the career races. I'm really waiting until I unlock everything and get all of the hot vehicles before I get serious online.

The online play is great, with many modes and up to 8 vehicles at a time. I believe it is broadband only.

I wouldn't necessarily categorize this as a racing game. Sure, there are races. But with the venues being crowded cities (people and vehicles) - the fog, turbo boost, huge jumps, chasing cops, tilting up on 2 wheels to squeeze through tight spots - this makes for some great fun.

7. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Xbox version on Thursday but I am doing the same as Fred. I am going thru the career mode and getting use to the game before heading online. I will probably give it a try though in the next day or so.

The instruction booklet said that you can only play online with what you have unlocked in the single player & right now, for me that equals L.A. and 3 crappy cars. It says that I am only approx 7% into L.A. (or is it meaning the entire game?), so I have a lot farther to go.

It is a lot of fun so far. I recently bought Burnout2 for the Xbox so I am a little more into that right now. The handling is similar but I really enjoy the cruise mode of MC2 and hitting pedestrians.

One question...are there cops in cruise mode? I have ridden all over L.A. and have not seen one cop. The one thing I loved about Driver1 & Driver2 was just cruising around, peeling out in front of a cop and thn making my own game.

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I have the game for a few days, so if anyone wants to do a little online racing later, send me an invite.

Played for about 4 hours tonight, and I REALLY like it. The racing is just a ton of fun at high speeds through the crowded cities. The addition of different tricks, cars and stuff to unlock keeps you going (seeing as you can use them online).

The game isn't perfect of course, as I have a few issues with the rather cheesy "storyline" and presentation, the constant taunting of your main rival (who rarely seems to be the best racer in the race, despite what he/she says), the pitiful excuse for a manual, and the missing custom soundtrack feature. But the actual racing is just too fun to dwell on things like that, and it does so many other things right as well.

The online options seem to be somewhat plentiful, with simple Cruise mode (pointless IMO), checkpoint racing (of various types), CTF, Demolition (or whatever it's called, it's kind of a tag type mode) and the ability to create your own custom races, which I think is what could really help the longevity of the online game. I played a game tonight one a "map" that the host had created which was very well done and every bit as fun to play as the included ones.

The Live interface is very well done, and ranks 2nd only behind MotoGP 2 of the ones I've used. The menus in the game, on the whole, are a tad confusing though, and the theme is carried over to it's Live interface. Once you get used to it though, it's fine.

You have the ability to log in and stay logged in even while you're playing single player, which I assume would let you recieve invites while playing.

Both Quick Match and Optimatch have a full set of filtering options which allows you to view games that are using certain game types, cities, restricted cars, enforce no voice masks (yes, this is an option to you hosts), game times, etc. Quick Match will of course then find the best room based on those options, while Optimatch will show you a complete list of games currently starting.

The optimatch list will then show you what your connection quality is to each game, If no voice mask is enforced, who's hosting, the game type, how many players, and maybe what cars are allowed (can't remember off the top of my head right now).

The lobbies feature your basic list of players, with a speaker icon similar to Mechassaults so that you know who's talking. Hosts, I believe, have the option to kick and ban players (I got kicked out of the first room I tried to join).

To round out the interface for Live, the Friends list has what you'd expect, but a nice little feature not quite present is any Live title I've seen, shows whether your online friends are joinable or not (in contrast, MotoGP 2 and Wolfenstein would, for the most part, only report when a game is joinable). There are also scoreboards which I have not really taken a look at.

Once in the game, things get a tad rougher, but it's still more than serviceable. While each car in the race has the player's name above it, there is no way of knowing who is speaking, nor can you tell who's behind or ahead of you unless you can see their can (and thus the name). It can get a tad confusing when 8 people are trying to trash talk each other and you're not sure who it is that's talking, or who they're saying it to.

When the race is over, the leaderboard for that race will be shown, and you then have the option of bringing up the options list while you wait. If someone crosses the line while you're in the options however, it will kick you out of the options and back to the leaderboard, which gets more than a little annoying.

At that point the host has the option of restarting the race or changing options for the next race without needing to go back to the lobbies. While the game does inform you if the host changed the game, or just restarted it, there's no way of knowing what was changed until the game actually starts up. In addition, it appears as if you can't change your car (at least not that I could see). On the other hand, if you decide to go back out to the lobbies to restart, you'll all have to meet up again, Mechassault style (or at least how it used to be).

The general performance of the game online though appears to be solid. Similar to MotoGP, you shouldn't notice any lag on your screen or in the way your game plays. Lag comes mainly in the form of the other player's cars jumping around the screen a bit if the connection is poor. The little time that I played, I didn't notice the phenomenon much at all.

Of the two Live racing games being released in the next month, I had been leaning more towards getting Midtown Madness as I really liked the first game. Having played MC2 now, and reading a few things about MM3 that concern me, I'm right back at being completely undecided.

I just wish I could afford both.

9. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I just picked up MCII i may go on tonight just to check it out. Ill starting unlocking sutff during the week as i want to get some MOtoGp2 and some wolfenstein practice in for the tourney

capt

10. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

11. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I picked up MCII on release day, and have only palyed single player, the game so far has underwhelmed, but I keep coming back to it over RTCW, so I must like it [​IMG] , if any one wants to play MCII online send me an invite

Ganertag: Infamous Sniper

12. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

rented it yesterday, and online wise I was very impressed.

13. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I picked it up on Friday.

-Mike (MMM)

14. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

It's a good game. I didn't like it on the PS2, but the smoothness of the graphics and the speediness of the framerate on XBOX really has me hooked on it...not to mention the gameplay, which is enjoyed thanks the XBOX enhancements and online play.

I don't have a problem with LIVE for this game...except more jackasses are online with game than usual it seems.

I had about 3 online games with that one idiot who likes to talk and talk, and annoy the hell out of everybody else. I can't believe someone would spend money on LIVE + games just to be an asshole to everyone online. WTF is wrong with these people!?

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah! So there's no way to mute someone who keeps babbling on & on?? That's a big downside right there, I can only imagine how bad it can get. [​IMG]

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I haven't taken MCII online yet, but in most games there's a "Players" option in the menu that will allow you to mute people.

17. James St

James St Supporting Actor

18. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Yes, you can mute them.

19. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

This game seems to be getting better reviews over all then Midtown Madness 3. But when I get on live and look at the players from my friends list, (mostly HTF members) I notice a bunch usually playing MM3 I don't think I have even seen the name MC2 come up for any one? Are you just not really playing it on line yet?
    I am asking cause to me this seems to be the better
    overall game and I wanted to know which to buy?
    The one player section of MC2 seems much deeper then
    MM3. I loved MC part one on the PS2 and think I
    am leaning more towards the Xbox version of MC2 over MM3.
    What do you think?

20. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I guess many people are so busy with Wolf, MM3, Motogp, new mech stuff and Tetris that they havent had time to unlock everything in single player (like me) and dont feel like going online just for a butt kicking. I am playing single player when I get a chance but you would think companies would learn by now. Unlocking stuff to play online sucks

capt