Any memebers here notice that many DVD's on Ebay are fake?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HankM, Oct 29, 2002.

1. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I went to Ebay looking to buy some of the 007 movies that are OOP as of now that did not get released with wave 1 last week. I noticed that there are many bootleg copies on there. Most have different covers with no region code and include DTS and some look like the real thing but at the bottom of the ad it says import and/or no booklet insert. Scarface is another one that comes to mind in DTS. I think I'll wait for the next 2 wave's of Bond.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

You will find a lot of bootlegs on ebay, so it pays to be aware of what the legitimate releases should contain, and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I hear a lock coming...

There are a lot of bootlegs on Ebay, but that type of discussion is verboten...

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I don't think a discussion about bootleg copies on eBay, as a warning to the uninitiated, is going to be blocked here. I think the problem comes if anyone begins discussing their own bootleg projects or asking advice about how to make illegal copies.

5. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, I got suckered into a bad Goldeneye DVD off Ebay a few months ago. This was obviously before the re-issues were announced. I won an auction for $30 and when I got it the first thing I noticed was the DTS banner along the top. LOL, next time I'll have to look closer at the screenshot.[​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

It is no great secret that bootlegs are on eBay. I've seen several articles on the matter.

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Yeah, I got a Criterion Silence of the Lambs off there and didn't know it...dammit. [​IMG]

8. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Be carefull when purchasing DVD's on EBAY since many DVD's on EBAY are bootlegs. Here are some things which I do when buying DVD's on EBAY:

1.) If the seller is from Asia (Hong Kong, China, etc) it is probably a bootleg.
    2.) if the seller says that the disc is region 0 then it is probably a bootleg.
    3.) before bidding or buying a DVD thru EBAY, check the disc's specs with popular online stores such as Amazon.com. If the specs from Amazon.com do not match the specs on the EBAY sale, it is probably a bootleg.
    4.) If the movie has not yet been released on DVD (movies such as Star Wars EP 4-6, Indiana Jones movies, Song Of The South, etc) then it is a bootleg.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I never see Ebay have bootlegs.
    In fact, I have my Universal DVD of Austin Powers: The Hands of Fate to prove it! [​IMG]