What's new

Any memebers here notice that many DVD's on Ebay are fake? (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I went to Ebay looking to buy some of the 007 movies that are OOP as of now that did not get released with wave 1 last week. I noticed that there are many bootleg copies on there. Most have different covers with no region code and include DTS and some look like the real thing but at the bottom of the ad it says import and/or no booklet insert. Scarface is another one that comes to mind in DTS. I think I'll wait for the next 2 wave's of Bond.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You will find a lot of bootlegs on ebay, so it pays to be aware of what the legitimate releases should contain, and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I hear a lock coming...

There are a lot of bootlegs on Ebay, but that type of discussion is verboten...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't think a discussion about bootleg copies on eBay, as a warning to the uninitiated, is going to be blocked here. I think the problem comes if anyone begins discussing their own bootleg projects or asking advice about how to make illegal copies.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yep, I got suckered into a bad Goldeneye DVD off Ebay a few months ago. This was obviously before the re-issues were announced. I won an auction for $30 and when I got it the first thing I noticed was the DTS banner along the top. LOL, next time I'll have to look closer at the screenshot.:angry:

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Be carefull when purchasing DVD's on EBAY since many DVD's on EBAY are bootlegs. Here are some things which I do when buying DVD's on EBAY:

1.) If the seller is from Asia (Hong Kong, China, etc) it is probably a bootleg.
2.) if the seller says that the disc is region 0 then it is probably a bootleg.
3.) before bidding or buying a DVD thru EBAY, check the disc's specs with popular online stores such as Amazon.com. If the specs from Amazon.com do not match the specs on the EBAY sale, it is probably a bootleg.
4.) If the movie has not yet been released on DVD (movies such as Star Wars EP 4-6, Indiana Jones movies, Song Of The South, etc) then it is a bootleg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks