Any members of Audible.com?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Thomas, Nov 29, 2003.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Curious about opinions of anyone here that is a member of Audible.com. I'm consdiering joining but before I do, I'd like to hear from a few people that are members.

One question is about the "audio magaznie, newspaper or radio program" that you're able to select with the Basic plan. What's the selection like and what format do they come in, daily for a newspaper?

I'm mainly interested in the audiobooks however. What format do they come in? Any other insights regarding the site are welcome.

2. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

I have been a member for 4 years and really enjoy it. I rarely listen to the newspapers and magazines. I'm on the 5 books a month program for 29.95 which includes unlimited subscriptions to the magazines and newspapers. I don't think they offer it anymore. Anyway the format is in some kind of compressed MP3 format but you can't copy the files as MP3's. To listen in the car you have to burn it on a CD or download it to a PDA and play it through the car stereo. The CD's take a while to burn if you have a large audiobook since you only get a little over an hour on each one. Its handy though if you have a cd changer then you just load it up and don't have to worry about changing discs. They usually have 4 formats with one being the most compressed and 4 being the least. MY PDA will accept 1,2,3 and I usually download in 3 unless the program isn't offered in it because the quality is a lot better than 1 or 2. I bought a 256 MB card so I can get a lot of programs on even in 3 format. The PDA route is probably easier however you may end up with some wires one for the cassete adaptor and possibly one for the PDA depending on how long you want to listen for. I have learned a lot from listening to the programs. If you drive a lot you'll like it. It's also good for taking to the gym. With the plan you can select any audio book regardless of price. Some months I have got well over $100 of books for $29.95.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'm a former Audible member. I left after several months because I'd listened to just about everything I wanted to hear. I'll probably go back in a while, when their selection is sufficiently refreshed.

The daily newspapers do come in daily format.

Make sure that an audiobook is something you actually like (try renting one or getting one from the library). I find that only certain kinds of books work well for me on audio. And the voice of the reader is a huge factor in whether or not I'll buy it. Make sure you listen to the sample before purchase.

The membership program can be a good deal, but you need to stay on top of it and make sure that you make your monthly selections or you've wasted that month's fee.

4. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I've been a member for a couple of years. I listen while I walk on the treadmill, walk the dog, or drive on long trips. I was on the basic plan, but didn't really find a subscription I liked enough to listen to regularly, so I changed to the two books/month plan.

I usually burn them onto CD's (CD-RW, actually), but I'm hoping for an Ipod for Christmas. Audible added Ipod support a few months ago.

I've been pretty happy, but don't, as a rule, like abridged audiobooks, which many of their titles are. I like it enough to continue my membership, for now.

Tony

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Audible rocks hard. My bitty little Rio 500, an FM radio transmitter, and commutes are that much more interesting, informative and educational.

6. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I love Audible as well. Its the perfect marriage with an iPod. It makes commuting and running on the treadmill that much better. The only downside for me is that I can no longer find my iPod half of the time, as my wife is always taking it to listen to books as well. [​IMG]