any member from twin cities/st. cloud area please read

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Khuc, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I just bought my rotel 1095 (used) but haven't had a pre/pro to test it yet. However, when I turn it on with nothing attached to it, it will turn off by itself after about 10, 15 minutes. I think it is deffective somehow. If you are from the twin cities or st. cloud area and have a pre/pro, please please please let me bring my amp over to test it. I am still waiting for the outlaw 950 to come but I don't know when. that's why I can't test it yet [​IMG] here's my email i don't really know what to do with the amp. sigh... if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Check your email.
    Email me [email protected]
    I'm in Coon Rapids,
    I sent you my phone number.
    A DVD player with 5.1 analog outs will also work,
    As those outs should be line level.
    I take it you have the speakers?
    It maybe time just to run over to BB or CC and get one
    of the open box units just for the test.
    I'm also open to have you stop by with your amp.[​IMG]

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Do you have speakers hooked up to the amp? If not you could be causing problems by not having any resistance to the signal. I think that you need to have at least a dummy load so that the amp thinks it is hooked up to speakers. It may just be overheating and shutting itself off.

4. Luke_Khuc

thank you for your responses. i only have 3 speakers right now (center 4 ohm, left, right are 8 ohm). Jerry, I sent you an email back. Richard, I am praying that what you write is true. Breck, I did that for you and Todd said that the Vikes will win the super bowl... some day.

5. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I very much doubt that the amp will overheat with no speakers connected. On the contrary, it "sees" an infinite load and thus not be putting out any power from the output stage. Its when the speaker terminals are shorted that amps overheat (and shut down).
    I am not familiar with this amp, but does it "auto-sense" an input signal? If so, maybe its shutting down since it does not sense an input signal. Try feeding an audio signal from a cd, your vcr or even your TV (if it has an audio out) to 1 or 2 channels of the amp and play something through it. If it does not shut down, then its probably the auto-sense feature kicking in. If it still shuts down with a signal being fed to one channel, then you may have a defective unit.

6. Luke_Khuc

Jerry,

Thank you again for letting me test my amp using your system. It's such a relief to find out that the amp is fine.

7. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Just an Update:
    Luke made it over to my place this past Sunday.
    We tested his Rotel amp with my gear.
    Tossed several dvd's at it.
    It works like a champ.
    That amp did not even break a sweat,or even get warm.
    Enjoy the amp Luke[​IMG]

8. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Luke,

I am interested in that same amp and am wondering if your problem is solved? If so, what was the problem, and the resolution?

Thanks,

Ron

9. Luke_Khuc

Jerry and several people here think that it can be a problem because I do not have enough speakers (I have only 3 for now). The amp worked fine when I was at Jerry's place (read his post right above yours). The resolution then is obvious: more money for speakers [​IMG]. Hope that helps.

10. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Luke, I don't think that was the problem. I have the rotel 1066 used to power my center surround speakers and it was doing the same thing when I was watching a movie with only 5.1 output instead of 7.1. After about 5 minutes the amp would shut down, after 10 minutes it would fire up again and then 5 minutes later it would shut down. My problem was that I had the 12v trigger set wrong, so it would power up, look for a trigger signal, not find one and shut down. Then it would repeat this process. I would turn your 12v trigger off and see if that doesn't clear up the problem. This is my main suspect especially after you tested it with a preamp and it worked fine.

Jeff

11. Luke_Khuc

Jeff,
    I don't use the 12v trigger so the trigger switch is always off. The previous owner did not use it either. I think the problems I had with my amp were different, but it's good to know about the problems you had with the trigger. I will use it when I get my outlaw 950. [​IMG] .. some day