Any Master Programers here? 3D Studio Max Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jun 4, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I find it an incredibly bad buisness decision not to have their older products support Windows XP, so a question. Can someone who is a master programer make a fix so Max 2.5 can run under XP? Those of us who spent 1$K on the educational version, and who don't have the money to upgrade, will thank you [​IMG].

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Have you tried setting the Compatiblity Mode for it in XP?

Find the shortcut that launches 3ds max, right-click on it, and select Properties. You should see a Compatibility Tab. Select it, and then start playing with the compatibility options. If it is supposed to work in Windows 2000, then select the "Windows 2000" compatibility mode.

As an example, I can play the game "Total Annihilation" in XP if I set the compatibility mode to "Windows 98".

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yep, sadly it dosn't work in ALL compatability modes [​IMG]. Keeps on saying I don't have the correct drivers installed, when I KNOW I do, because it worked perfectly in Windows ME. From what I've been told, the only Max version that works in XP is Version 4. Figured it wouldn't be too tough for someone to take something from that and adapt it so it works with earlier versions...

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, why would it need drivers? It's not for the 3D video is it? Just tell it you don't have 3D hardware acceleration, and let it do real-time rendering in software!

Or perhaps you need to install OpenGL on it? The stock MS drivers don't always have OpenGL in XP.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hmm, sometihng strange just happened. I tried this last time I wanted to get it working, and it didn't work. I just tried it again out of curiosity, and it actually worked this time! I'll be damned, I don't know what I was doing wrong since I did it exactly the same way as last time.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Some kind of voodoo? Sacrifice a first-born son? Let it all out man!