What's new

Any Marantz DV-6200 thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I just ordered a Marantz DV-6200 DVD player from ac4l.com. I was wondering if anyone has this player and could give me any comments about what they like/dislike about it.

It is replacing my old Toshiba 3109. I wanted something that would be better for standard CD playback and was MP3 capable. According to Marantz's advertising on this unit, it was the one for me in the price range I was looking.

I do not have a HDTV so I will be using S-Video....

Bob

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
It's great unit, it has few but very good reviews.
I own one and can't find a single problem to complain about.
Good choice. :emoji_thumbsup:
Dennis

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I just did the ac4l.com thing myself, purchasing a Marantz DV-7010. I'm moving my old Pioneer DV-525 (a great player by the way) upstairs. I haven't received the Marantz unit yet, but I'm also curious if anyone has first-hand experience with this unit.
Robert: Based on the performance of my Marantz 5-disc CD changer, these players should at least sound great. ;)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Robert:

The DV-6200 is an excellent machine and will perform way beyond the 3109 it is replacing.

It is free from the chroma bug and thus offers a very nice image. Its progressive capabilities with standard film material is excellent - video-based material will trip it up a bit though.

The Marantz is built very well with a metal faceplate with simple but effective ergonomics. Its performance as a CD player is also above average for DVD players.

I'm sure you will be quite happy with it.

/Jeff

Jin E

Second Unit
I bought a Marantz DV4200 and had problems with it freezing on a disk or two (both Kevin Smith films, odd). It did not lock up on T2 or Santana so far (though, it paused for about 3 seconds as if it were going to lock up on Santana). Clerks, Jay and SB, both froze speradically. Contacted AC4l and they said my unit was defective, and they are contacting Marantz to get me a replacement, and will schedule to have someone pick my old one up. Peformance wise the player is a Champ! It's a big step up from my first generation Toshiba SD3006. I'm sure the 6200 would be even better. I could not justify the extra $100 for progressive scan since I have no plans in the future to get a 480p capable set. Best part about the x200 series plaers is they are SUPER easy to make region free!!! With the service I have gotten from AC4l so far, I would not hesitate to recomend them as a vendor. I have played 5 other discs besides Clerks and JSB, and non of them lock up. Oh well, we will see if the problem is repeated whenever I get the new player. ANyhoo... here is the region free hack, works for my 4200 and is supposed to be the same on the 6200.

Multi-Region Codes

1: Power off Unit with remote.

2: Power Unit on again with remote with NO disk in drive.

3: Wait for the "NO DISK" message on the unit's display and then push the (PAUSE) button on remote once.

4: Enter (314159) on remote "CODE" massage appears on the face of the DVD player.

5: Enter (0) on remote for region free, (or you can program in the specific regeon) and push (PAUSE) button again.

6: Power off unit.

Jin E

Second Unit
Oh yeah... CD playback was GREAT! I was really suprized how much better it sounded over my old Toshiba DVD player. Crystal clear, I could not beleive the added detail just changing the transport upon first listening. I did a couple of A-b switching to compair, and there was no compairison. Toshiba SD3006 sounded thin, and muddied. Marantz was clear and viberant. I'm now wondering what a dedicated CD player would be like...

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I received the DV-6200 today. Unpacked and did a quick cable setup with no calibrations yet (audio or video).
My first impression was nice colors. Very clear and natural color. Very impressive for a S-Video connection that is being switched thru my SR-19 A/V Receiver. It seems to present more of a film like picture. It has an improved smoothness, when comparing it to the Toshiba 3109.
Then I cranked up the volume and I heard bass that wasn't there before. Strange, definitely more and better sounding bass. My svs 25-31Pci sounded better than before on every movie track I played. Remarkably more powerful!
Also, I noticed there was a definite improvement in imaging. Effects that moved around were not as localized as before, making my room feel larger.
I threw in a couple audio cd's that were sitting on my rack, Aerosmith and Judas Priest. Again, bass was even more improved. I ran the front 2 channels in direct mode without a sub and my Monitor 7's finally produced some kick drum bass. I was always let down by the lack of bass my Monitor 7's produced but it was the cd player I was using. I even have a Sony 300 disc changer I occasionally connect up and it doesn't sound as good as this DV-6200. Not to mention the the Toshiba 3109 didn't sound anywhere close to as good as this.
Something I just looked up because of the bass difference is this:
Toshiba 3109:
Frequency response (:thumbsdown: 20 Hz to 20 kHz)
right surround channel...........+0.11, -0.19 dB
Marantz DV-6200:
Frequency Range DVD: :cool: fs=96kHz 4Hz–44kHz fs=48kHz :)4Hz–22kHz CD: 4Hz–22kHz
I'm not a very good spec guy, but that may be it right there.
One negative so far but it's most likely not that big of a deal....The picture is a little too bright. I will need to re-calibrate my big screen again in order to compensate for that and also move the projection picture left only slightly. Makes sense I guess since it's a Toshiba RPTV and I had it calibrated to my Toshiba DVD player. I seem to recall moving the picture around slightly when I did the initial calibration. I'll post my results in a few days when everything gets settled in.
Bob

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I ended up lowering both my contrast and brightness by 5. I used to run them at 50 and 50, and now 45 and 45.

My Philips DirecTivo output still looks good at the same setting.

Users who are viewing this thread