Any Mac users here? Anyone using it for photo/video work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I'm getting ready to purchase another computer. The new one will be primarily used for photo and video editing (having a new baby changes priorities!) I realize that PCs and PC software outnumber Macs/Mac related software a billion to one, but the Macs seem to be perfect for photo/video work! Are they as easy as it appears?
    BTW, before any Bill Gates lovers flame me, I currently own two Windows based PCs so save your breath [​IMG] If it wasn't such a pain (un)installing peripherals I would simply purchase another more powerful PC.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I use Photoshop, which I wouldn't exactly call "easy" to use if you aren't familiar with it. Photoshop LE is the slimmed down version which I understand simplifies things greatly. GraphicConverter is a good shareware alternative.

For video, I find it hard to believe you could find an easier program to use than iMovie. I use it religiously and prefer it to the full-featured Final Cut Pro, which I also have access to.

3. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

In general, yes, the Mac as easy as its been hyped up to be. Working with video in iMovie and iDVD is quite simple. Programs like Final Cut and Photoshop have much steeper learning curves since they are aimed at professional markets. You'd have the same problem in that regard w/ those programs on the PC, however.

The Mac would make an excellent choice for what I'm guessing you want to do.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

One suggestion:

If you can wait a month or so it is expected that new pro towers will be released between now and MacWorld Tokyo. They would likely be at the current prices.

If you can't wait, I'd suggest a dual processor model to take advantage of MultiProcessor enhanced apps for Video and Photo work.

Graphic Converter($30 shareware or so) is already available for OS X as are iMovie(Free), Final Cut Pro($1Grand), iDVD(Free), iPhoto(Free).

You can use SAMBA(Freeware) and Sharity(Shareware) to network and share with your PCs.

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Hmm, I hope you don't mind Dennis, but I'm going to ask a question here as well.

I'm going to be buying an iBook in the very near future (like in a few months) and I'm wondering how well it will performs with iMovie? I'm buying the 600MHz model w/14" screen.

I think the default ram is 256MB, should I upgrade that to something more?(384/512?)

Thanks.

6. Bob Bazley

Bob Bazley Auditioning

Hello Dennis,
    I have used Mac's since the earlier days and the latested crop of Macs are by far the most easy to use. The included software "iMovie", "iDVD" , "iPhoto" and "iTunes" allows you to control all aspects of your multimedia collection. "iMovie" is great for beginners and if you really get into then you can upgrade to Final Cut pro which is an excellent product. The new Powermacs (not iMacs!) are due to get a speedbump to over 1Ghz soon (as powermacs use the G4 CPU dont think thats slow compared to and Intel chip) In general 1ghz on a G4 chip is about the same as 2ghz on an Intel chip (for some software which uses a part of the G4 chip called Altivec it can get an even higher performance). If you want good long term value with out the hassle of PC's then buy a powerMac. Remember once you go Mac you never go back!!
    ..... and now for Andrews question on the iBook, yes the iBook works well with iMovie and yes i would purchase more ram for it (but dont buy it from apple directly as it costs to much, get it from www.ramseeker.com they always have the best prices for mac ram). One question I have is do you really need an iBook? if you really need a portable then its a great buy but if you dont then take a look at the new iMac with the new inbuilt DVD burner and 15inch LCD screen and a G4 which rocks with iMovie!! They are terrific value for money.
    hope this helps
    [​IMG]

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Andy - get out of my thread... out, out, out!!! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help folks. I think I'll wait until the Powermacs are released and then make my move.
    I owned a Mac when I was in college (late 80s) and I'm looking forward to the worry-free operation Macs allow. Plug-n-Play as it should be!

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Andy, not only would I increase the RAM, but I'd get the largest hard drive I could for the iBook. Digital video is a tremendous space hog and you could easily find yourself running out of disk space quickly if you aren't deleting projects. The 14.1" iBook comes with a standard 20GB drive, but I'd highly recommend shelling out the extra $100 for the 30GB drive (might only be available direct from Apple.)

9. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Dennis,
    I'm back... lol [​IMG]
    Bob,
    Yes I do need a notebook computer, so it's either the iBook or the TiBooks, and I don't have the money for the TiBooks [​IMG] I've almost convinced my mom to buy the new iMac for her home office, so maybe I'll have the best of both worlds. (I just think the new iMac would look stunning on her office desk!)
    Michael or anyone else that would know,
    Is it technically possible to replace the hard drive in the iBook with somthing larger then the largest drive that Apple offers for it which is 30GB? Like if I were to take the iBook to an Apple service centre, could they pop in a 60-80GB drive?

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Andy,
    The hard drive on the iBooks isn't very easy to get to, so replacing it is quite difficult. I'm not sure if Apple service centers will do it either. However, you can go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and read an article on how to do it.
    having said that, it takes about 10 minutes to change a hard drive on a Titanium powerbook [​IMG]

11. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andy

>>Is it technically possible to replace the hard drive in the iBook with somthing larger then the largest drive that Apple offers for it which is 30GB? Like if I were to take the iBook to an Apple service centre, could they pop in a 60-80GB drive?

In my iBook which is an older Graphite model the hard drive is nearly impossible to swap out. I don't know if that stands true for the new iBooks too.

Plus I don't know if any laptop hard drives are available that are larger than 40GB and if they are available I am sure that they are LARGE $$$.

If you plan to do video editing or if you wish to have a large MP3 library you will want/need more than a 20 or even a 30 GB drive. Video takes up large amounts of hard drive space and you will probably want around 10GB or so for the MP3s.

So the solution that I suggest is to get an external Firewire hard drive of at least a 7200 60GB to use for video editing. The externals are going to be less expensive than trying to add an internal 40GB drive plus it will have other advantages as well. If you ever change computers the external drive is still good for you. Plus if you talk your Mom into buying that new iMac you could simply take your firewire drive and plug it into that as well. If she would get the iMac with the Superdrive you should be able to edit your videos on your iBook, then move the external hard drive to her iMac and pop out a DVD. WOW, aint life great? I want one TOO!!!

Certainly the external hard drive is not as convenient if you plan to edit video while traveling but with my plan you would have your MP3s on the internal to access while traveling.

Good luck,

Glenn

12. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andy,

I did some quick checking on prices of external Firewire hard drives.

Firewire drives:

60G 7200 $239

80G 7200 $289

100G 7200 $349

120G 7200 $399

Firewire and USB Combo Drives:

60G 7200 $259

80G 7200 $299

100G 7200 $359

I would probably go ahead and get the Combo drive for the extra $10 for most models. That would give you the option to use USB if you ever wanted to. No reason to use USB if you have the option but if you wanted to hook it up to an older iMac or iBook without Firewire or to a Windows machine with no Firewire you would still ba able to.

I would guess that the 80GB drive would be large enough for most people and for $300 it isn't a bad deal. You might check around as well for other sources and find better prices or the longer that you wait the prices will surely drop.

That would seem like a better deal than giving Apple an extra $100 for an extra 10GB of internal hard drive space. $300 for an external 80GB 7200 drive. Of course if you cannot have an external drive for whatever reason then yourt choices are going to be very limited. As far as I know a 40GB is the largest internal laptop drive out there for the iBook and it will probably cost as much as the 80GB external not including installation which might be very tough.

Which brings up another question. What speed are the internal iBook drives and are they fast enough to use for Video editing?

Glenn

13. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Wow Glenn, thanks for all the idea's!

While at work today, I started thinking about an external firewire hard drive. The prices of them seem very reasonable. With an 80GB external, I think I would just stick with the default 20GB in the iBook...no need in spending the extra $100 for a 30GB.

Thanks once again.

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

As mentioned previously Andy, the iBook HD can be upgraded, but it is NOT easy (I just helped a co-worker with one.) The PowerBooks are far easier to upgrade.

That said, the external FireWire drives are a nice option, as they can be swapped bewteen machines. The models listed in the previous post all require an external power adapter (which comes with the drive). The smaller drives that are bus powered are far more expensive and don't come with disk capacities as large.