Any Mac owner here have the dual 867 G4?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd H, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Been thinking about buying the Powermac G4 with the dual 867 MHZ processors. I need to know how it performs.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I have one!

First off you really need to upgrade to atleast 512MB RAM. After you do that the performance is great! Sometimes I can bog both of the processors down when doing Photoshop filters and editing with Final Cut Pro. But as a general office machine used to surf the web, email, etc....it flat out hauls ass.

Sometimes I do wish I would have gotten a dual 1Ghz with the faster system bus....but overall I am VERY happy with this machine and plan to hold onto it for a little while.

3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I'll basically be using it for web surfing, e-mail, cd burning, etc. No Photoshop or anything like that. Sounds like this model may be a perfect fit.

I'm gonna start putting away about $300-400 a month to buy a Mac. I have a feeling by the time I save up enough money, the dual 1 GHZ may have dropped in price. Either way I can't wait!

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The dual 867 is a kickass machine, but it might be overkill for what you plan on using it for. However, if you decide to expand your horizons in the future with stuff like DV and Photoshop, you'll be all set. And you're right, in a couple of months the price may drop on the dual gig machines. This late in the year, I always wait until after Macworld in early January before making a major hardware purchase.

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I'd like to leave myself a little room for growth. You never know, I may try my hand at DV or even ProTools in the future (I've been looking for an excuse to get back into making music).

I'm definitely waiting until after Macworld. Between saving each month and my tax return, I should be in good shape the beginning of next year.