Any Mac heads out there? I need some computer advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric M Jones, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Hello,

I have an older blue & white G3. I just started getting into digital video and quickly learned I need a bigger hard drive. My question is if I get another drive is there a way to simply add it to my system? Or do I have to replace the hard drive I currently use? If so how would I transfer what is on the old drive to the new one?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-EJ

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Adding an additional hard drive is pretty easy. You can either add one internally (depending on which version of the machine you have) or more conveniently, get an external drive.

An ATA drive will be considerably less expensive than a SCSI drive. If you are unsure about how to upgrade an internal drive, you are probably best to take it to a respectable Apple tech. It isn't hard, but depends on your experience.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Talk about a timely post, Eric. I had a Blue & White G3 that I just replaced about a month ago. Adding drives to that machine couldn't be easier. I had a total of three ATA drives running in it for video work. For the additional two drives, I had a Sonnet host adapter card that just pops into one of the PCI slots. I'm keeping the B&W G3 for now, but I'm selling the Sonnet card. I was going to list it on eBay when I returned home from the family's tonight. If you're interested and want to send me a message before then, I'd be willing to sell it to you instead.

4. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Eric, you need to be careful regarding the B&W G3 models. The first versions of this model can have data corruption issues with slave drives, something that is well-documented at www.xlr8yourmac.com (which, coincidentally, also has an illustrated tutorial on how to install additional drives in this machine).
    I have a "revision 1" G3 that has performed flawlessly with DV, but all of my additional hard drives are run from a separate ATA card I installed in one of the PCI slots. Some people also claim that the FireWire ports on this machine are prone to shorting out, but I've seen no problems with that.
    Check the above site for anything you ever wanted to know about this machine, including how to identify which revision it is. Have fun!

5. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Hey guys thanks for the help.

Michael I'm interested in that card. I sent you an email.

After digging thru xlr8yourmac I've learned that I have the 1st run G3 that has corruption issues with a slave drive (without a PCI ATA card).

David what kind of PCI card are you using?

Thanks again for all your help,

-EJ

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Eric, mine is an older ATA/66 TurboMax card, which is still fast enough for DV. You might be able to find the -66 varieties cheap on eBay, since the faster ATA/100 cards have been on the market for quite some time now. (EDIT: Sorry, I didn't even notice Mike's offer.)

Be careful of the TurboMax ATA/33 card, as it is not supported under OS X. That's the card I originally had, but ProMax was kind enough to offer an upgrade path to the ATA/66 card at a substantial discount, and I didn't even have to return the -33 card. It's now in use in an older machine that's too slow to effectively run X, anyway.

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The Sonnet Host Adapter card works GREAT! I have installed them in many a Mac and have not a single problem with data corruption.