Any Ma & Pa Kettle fans out there?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Arnie G, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Just wondering if anyone got the Ma & Pa Kettle set released last week. What do you think about it? I can't find any reviews anywhere. I just ordered it from DDD.

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I got my set several days ago.

From what I've seen, it's excellent. I watched one film all the way through and sampled the others.

The packaging is nice and a couple of trailers are included.

The only quibble I have, and it's very minor, is that films #1 and #3 are on one side and #2 and #4 are on the other (as opposed to being in order).

The one I watched was the second film "Ma and Pa Kettle" about Pa winning a "home of the future". It's pretty amazing with 50+ years hindsight to see what was considered to be "new technology" at the time. The fact the movie is laugh out loud funny doesn't hurt either [​IMG]

I will be picking up volume 2 when it arrives in a few months. DDD's pricing on these sets can't be beat.

Steve

3. dvdfan

dvdfan Auditioning

I just got it too. Good "clean" entertainment for a change.

I LOVE "The Egg and I" film intro of the characters...very subtle, and it's always nice to enjoy the pairing of Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert...they had some great chemistry, didnt they ?

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yes I enjoy these films as well. They look great on this DVD set. The Egg and I is worth the price of admission alone as this was actually an A picture from Universal. Looking forward to Volume 2.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    didnt martin and lewis make their forst film appearance in the egg and i?

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Tony
    Nope. Martin and Lewis made their 1st appearance in "My Friend Irma".
    Ma and Pa Kettle made their 1st appearance in "The Egg and I".

7. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

No complaints at all about this release. In fact, my partner and I were both shocked at how beautifully preserved the films were.

Great job from Universal on this one.

8. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I agree with Chuck's comments, they look wonderful.

I bought this set just for "The Egg and I" and didn't realize I had seen the other films until I watched them here. They are all funny and this set is great.

9. Wayne Earl

Wayne Earl Extra

Haven`t seen these films for years but when I was a kid,in the days of the two channel universe,I would fake sick to stay home from school to watch Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

10. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Now anyone who remembers Ma and Pa Kettle must be as old as me. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who liked these movies along with Abbot and Costello and Dean and Jerry.
    I'll definitely get these.

11. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I just got mine today but haven't watched it yet. Other than this & Abbott & Costello, does anyone know if there are any more of these Franchise Collections coming?

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Well Francis the Talking Mule Volume 1 is coming in June.

There are conflicting stories about whether or not Universal will revisit their Marx Brothers films. I've seen printed reports recently that took opposite sides of this issue.

Back to the Kettles. Volume 2 is coming in a few months. I'm hoping against hope that for completist sake that a Volume 3 with the non Percy Kilbride features will be issued. Those two movies were pretty much throwaways, but you still had Marjorie Main.

Steve

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I hope they release the extra 2 Kettle films too Steve. I wish they would have just included 5 films per collection instead. I assume Francis Volume 2 will include the 2 remaining O'Conner movies as well as the One Mickey Rooney Francis film.

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  15. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Just returned from vacation and a few purchases had arrived. First thing I watched was The Egg and I. I'm very pleased. These looked even better than I had hoped. [​IMG]

16. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Even though I'm almost 42, this is the first time I'm seeing Ma and Pa - and I love 'em! [​IMG]

I bought this set blind since Universal is making these wonderful franchise collections so affordable. I loved THE EGG AND I (Colbert and MacMurray were great together!) and now I'm having fun with Ma and Pa Kettle.

The quality is very good on these, and I'm anxious for Volume 2! Has there been a release date announced yet, and will the next set conclude the series? It seemed weird that only 4 were on #1, but the last thing I wish to do is gripe about a bargain like this! [​IMG]

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Joe
    Vol. 2 is due in May with Vol. 2 of Abbott and Costello.
    There were a total of 7 films with Majore Main and Percy Kilbride as Ma and Pa Kettle (Not Including The Egg and I):

1.) Ma and Pa Kettle(1949)
    2.) Ma and Pa Kettle go to Town(1950)
    3.) Ma and Pa Kettle Back on the Farm(1951)
    4.) Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair(1952)
    5.) Ma and Pa Kettle on Vacation(1953)
    6.) Ma and Pa Kettle at Home(1954)
    7.) Ma and Pa Kettle at Waikiki(1955)

After the last film Percy Kilbride left the series but it was still popular so Universal tried to continue with Majorie Main in

8.) The Kettles in The Ozarcs(1956) - This featured an Uncle as a Replacement for Pa.
    9.) The Kettles on Old McDonald's Farm(1957) - This had a new Pa.

These last 2 entries are not too bad for fans of the series but not as good as any previous entries. I would guess that if Vol. 2 sells well which will include entries 4 through 7 then Universal will do a Vol. 3 that would be a Double feature disk of the last 2 entries.