Any M&K to SVS converts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Collin, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Collin

Collin Auditioning

I've been out of the Home theater loop for a while, and upon my return, noticed that a fair majority of those here cannot say enough about the SVS subwoofer. Any of you SVS users intimately familiar with the M&K MX-350THX also? and would you, could you, make a comparison? M&K users have any opinions? Is the thing a glorified boom box, or is it tight and accurate? Deep is one thing, accurate is another. So what say you.[​IMG]

2. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i am a former m&k user. i am not familiar with the model you mentioned. i used to use an m&k v-125 but after i moved to my new house with a much larger family room, the m&k could not keep up and kept bottoming out. i recently purchased an svs 20-39+ and the difference was night and day. what i previously heard as rumbling turned into nice clean bass. i have to agree with everyone else that you will learn what clean bass really is after hearing the svs sub. highly recommended! (also, this sub integrates very well with my martin logan sl3's)

3. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

I first owned a pair of MX 125s, which are the same as the 350 only with less power. Same enclosure, same drivers. I replaced the 125s with a pair of SVS 16-46CSs and now I have a pair of 16-46CS+s. The M&K push-pull subs can pretty much hang with the SVS subs down to about 35Hz. From 35Hz and down, the difference is substantial. SVS maintains impressive output down to 20Hz and lower depending on model, and remains clean and tight. My M&Ks dropped off in output and things got a little loose down low compared to the SVS subs. Bottom line, the SVS subs perform better as a whole from 100Hz and down and do it for a much better price. That said, the M&Ks are still quite good woofs and I still haven't found anything to replace my M&K S150THX surround sound system.

4. Collin

Collin Auditioning

Kevin, Correct me if I'm wrong, You use the S-150THX system for mains / surrounds and use a pair of SVS subs - If so, that is the exact setup I'm looking at putting together. I already have a full M&K setup, so I'd just be adding the sub. How do you feel the SVS blends with the S-150THX's? Overall, on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate that setup? Thanks for the opinions.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

We have had plenty of mk users purchase an SVS. We don't keep lists though [​IMG] I would try searching HTF for the posts from "RAF". He was among the first MK owners to purchase a SVS I believe...and he has answered a lot of the MK vs. SVS questions based on his personal experiences.
    TV

6. Ashley Burt

Ashley Burt Extra

I have the M&K 750's.

Similiar to the 150's

-same tweeter as the 150's...one instead of two

- But, use two 5.25" drivers

I love the way the SVS. It blends in very nice. I due have some room acoustic problems in which I need to get an EQ for the sub to fix, but that is due to the room.

The SVS works great for both movies and music. I use the built-in "THX" 80Hz crossover in the Integra 7.1 Receiver.

7. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

This is SVS land I doubt if youll get anyone to stand up for M&Ks. I personally prefer M&K subs (i believe alot of studios like them too). I'm usually reluctant to say anything about M&K subs on this board because I dont want to be slamed for not going with SVS. You may want to do some apples to apples comparisions (i.e two M&Ks 150s or 350s @street prices vs SVS). if you can, instead of the subjective opinions of us folks (even me) on the board

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

No one is going to *slam* anyone for owning a MK. And if you are worried about purely subjective bias skewing the comparison...we can go straight to some objective data?
    Tom Nousaine:
    MK 125 mkII($1200)
    20hz/89 25hz/95 25-63hz(avg)/105.3dB
    SVS 20-39($649)
    20hz/91 25hz/105.8 25-63hz(avg)109.5dB
    There almost was another direct SVS vs. MK comparison to reference too...
    Brian Weatherhead's subwoofer shootout for www.hometheater.hifi was supposed to have the *flagship* subs from quite a few manufacturers included....including MK. Brian has gone on record as saying once the "other guys" found out who was already at the party(SVS,HGS18,rsw15)...there was a sudden rash of "we currently have no review samples available" mantras...
    TV

9. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

The street prices of M&Ks are much lower. I would start at the MX150 and up.

10. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I have the M&K 5000 and love it. I have considered going to a pair of SVS 20-39+'s but keep changing my mind.

I have heard a 16-46 and the bass is pretty impressive, although it would bottom out when pushed. I haven't heard of any bottoming out issues with the plus's.

I sure wish I could listen to a pair of 20-39+'s in my room with the M&K. Maybe when I have some extra cash! (like there's any such thing)

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Jason, nice town you live in there-TIC

I must say that I use to own a M&K and liked it for the time, but the SVS is truely a SUBwoofer. The M&K was punchy and sounded good for music, but now that I have the SVS I truely know what 20HZ sounds (feels) like. The M&K couldn't come close to it in those terms, it is very hard to explain, and you need to hear it to understand the difference. The Price VS is even more in favor of SVS, I got a 25 (22)-31 and plate amp for about $500, that is AMAZING!!

12. Bob Jr

Bob Jr Auditioning

I’m also looking for some sub help, and considering SVS. But how do I listen to them? I auditioned a Paradigm PW-2200 and a DefTech 15TL last night and while impressed, I still felt my Sansui SPL 1500 mains (12” woofers) were almost as good.

I’m afraid of spending $500 – 1,000 and getting nothing in return.

Same goes with HSU’s. I need to hear them!

Any suggestions?

Bob

13. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

My last 'commercial" sub was the M&K MX-100 (now called the MX-200, I think). I liked that sub quite a lot. With a retail price over $1400, I better have. Even at that price, I went seveal years without hearing any sub that made me consider for a minute replacing the MX-100.

That was before trying out a pair of SVS 25-31CS. The M&K immediately found a new home somewhere in Tennessee as I recall.

IMO, the dual 25-31s were superior to the MX-100 in every way (that mattered). Modifying the 25-31s with different ports and, later, Ultra drivers made the difference even greater. The final "tweak" was the addition of an EQ with a subsonic filter (well under $200). IMO, a well-EQ'd pair of, say, the new line of CS+ subs can't be touched by anything costing even twice as much.

14. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

15. EricN

EricN Stunt Coordinator

Like RAF, I too have the M&K 150 set (150's L C R and 2 pair of SS-150's for surrounds. The Sub is the 150THX)
    I love these speakers. I had listened to Paradigm (Like them too) Energy, Mirage and several others in the $5000 per system range and the M&K got the cash.
    After 2 years I was interested in getting more bass output. I like the musicality of the 150THX sub, but I am enjoying the theater and wanted more. About this time RAF got a hold of the 1st 16-46PC ever shipped. I read his review with great interest and money back guarantee in hand, ordered up the same sub.
    I configured the system the way RAF did with the M&K handling 50hz to 80hz and letting the SV go for the bottom from 50hz down.
    These two subs really matched well. Music was wonderful and seamless. Of course, M&K pioneered satellite systems so it was no surprose the 150's accepted another high quality cousin to the dance.
    Home Theater is where things really rocked. [​IMG]
    I am using a Denon 5800 for my power source. 170 watts per into 7 channels. Listening to The Haunting in DTS ES is an astounding thing. Apollo 13 in DTS also makes you feel like you have camped under the Saturn 5! [​IMG]
    Things have improved again lately as the new improved standard driver arrived and I now have a new SV 14-46PCi sub. The reviews are true. It is even better and stronger than before.
    You would be hard pressed to find better HT speakers than M&K. Particularly since so many movies have their sound mixed with these speakers to begin with. However, like RAF, if I had to choose between M&K or SV for the sub, I am sticking with the SUB-Humans, Tom and Ron. [​IMG]
    Enjoy climbing back onto the HT bandwagon[​IMG]

16. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

---------------

The final "tweak" was the addition of an EQ with a subsonic filter (well under $200).

---------------

Robert, what EQ do you have that has the filter built in? I am considering getting a BFD but it has no filter.

Harry.

17. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Harry:
    I use the ART 355, which is priced rather higher than the "under $200" I noted in my previous post. This EQ is a two-channel EQ rather than the less expensive single channel model. However, I only use the 355 because I have two subwoofer outputs on my receiver, I'm using two drivers powered by two amp channels. This way, I don't use a "Y" cable anywhere. The single channel model, the ART 351, is available for $179 from SVS and is all one needs if you have a single sub output, even if you are running two subs.
    Here's the scoop on the 351...
    ART 351 Equalizer

18. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Auditioning

Collin,

I have the 350 and also a svs ultra. I also have the Denon 5800 and MK s-150 setup. I use a carver 1.0t in bridged output mode to drive the ultra. From my experience the 350 stays close to the ultra untill the 30hz range in my 3024 sq ft room.(16'w 21'l 9'h) then after that the ultra provides most of the output. In my room this has turned out to be a great combination for music and movies. Together they will rattle things located at the other end of the house and sound good at the same time.

19. Harold Leroy

Harold Leroy Stunt Coordinator

I had the MX150 for one year and now have SVS 20-39+. In my room with my set up, the MX150 is not even close to the deep clean base I get with the 20-39+. I listen to 50/50 music and HT. I didn't have the BFD EQ with my MX150, the rest of my system is pretty much the same and the room hasn't changed. I liked my M&K 150 system--it's a great sounding set up, especially for movies, so I'm trying to be careful with my words so I don't appear to be slamming M&K.

The best way for any M&K sub owner to learn for himself is to get an SVS and try it--if not satisfied return it. The only risk is some freight, trust me it will be worth it.

20. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Robert, my receiver also has 'stereo' sub out jacks so i'll check out the 355.

Harry.