What's new

Any Lego enthusiasts here? (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since Christmas Eve, I have purchased Lego sets to build of the White House, the International Space Station, The US Capitol, The Lincoln Memorial, The Saturn V Rocket and a partial Skyline of New York City. I had a Lego set as a kid and enjoyed them but was never a fanatic. I do enjoy building models and I also enjoy 3 D Puzzles. However, I thought I would try Lego because it has least Mess Potential (No Glue etc etc needed). I got mine from Amazon and they have Lego knock offs on there but I Dropped the coin for the Lego ones Specifically. what do you build from that Standpoint?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I used to love LEGO when I was a kid. Are there sets for purchase that builds specific things like you mentioned (the White House, Capitol Building, etc)?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Me, not so much (but I'd *love* to have one of their Saturn V replicas - I still have a Revel model I built when a kid that's about the same size). There are several sets I'd like to purchase but price and space considerations pretty much keep me away.

I have a nephew who's a Lego nut - when he and his new wife built their house they included a room specifically to hold his huge Lego collection (has the Millenium Falcon, the Death Star, the Imperial Star Destroyer, and lots of other very cool sets).

My oldest grandson (18yo) also likes to build sets and has a few. His include Jaba the Hut's Palace and the Statue of Liberty. My youngest grandson (8yo) loves dinosaurs and has more than a few of the cooler Jurassic Park sets.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V 92176 Outer Space Model Rocket for Kids and Adults, Science Building Kit (1969 Pieces)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have all of my sons old lego sets including original packaging. Lots of Star Wars stuff. The only problem is that all sets are dismantled and dumped into one large container. I just don't have the interest to sort through it all and back into original boxes to see what someone on ebay would buy them for. So....they sit...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have all of my sons old lego sets including original packaging. Lots of Star Wars stuff. The only problem is that all sets are dismantled and dumped into one large container. I just don't have the interest to sort through it all and back into original boxes to see what someone on ebay would buy them for. So....they sit...
Obviously, it would depend on condition and completeness but some of those Star Wars LEGOs are insanely expensive. Probably even open, some would fetch a nice price on eBay.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The next one I will get is the NASA Space Shuttle Discovery Orbiter.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I loved building Legos since I was very young, and just started back up about 10 years ago (in my 50's now). I am a Star Wars fan, so the Ultimate Collector's Editions is what really started my collecting again. I was always on the fence prior to that, and was questioning whether I wanted to shell out that much money. Once my financial situation greatly improved, I started with my first set which was the R2-D2 set (not the one that was just issued). When I built that one I was already looking forward to building more.

Since that point I have built the following:

The Batman Tumbler (first edition of the model)
Star Wars Snow Speeder
Apollo Saturn V
International Space Station
Millenium Falcon (most recent version)
Star Destroyer (most recent version)
Lamborghini
Star Wars Rebel Blockade Runner
Space Shuttle Discovery with the Hubble telescope.
Mos Eisley Cantina
Fender Stratocaster
and finally my most recent build was the Titanic.

I am starting to run out of room to display all of these.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I loved building Legos since I was very young, and just started back up about 10 years ago (in my 50's now). I am a Star Wars fan, so the Ultimate Collector's Editions is what really started my collecting again. I was always on the fence prior to that, and was questioning whether I wanted to shell out that much money. Once my financial situation greatly improved, I started with my first set which was the R2-D2 set (not the one that was just issued). When I built that one I was already looking forward to building more.

Since that point I have built the following:

The Batman Tumbler (first edition of the model)
Star Wars Snow Speeder
Apollo Saturn V
International Space Station
Millenium Falcon (most recent version)
Star Destroyer (most recent version)
Lamborghini
Star Wars Rebel Blockade Runner
Space Shuttle Discovery with the Hubbell telescope.
Mos Eisley Cantina
Fender Stratocaster
and finally my most recent build was the Titanic.

I am starting to run out of room to display all of these.

How long did the Apollo and the shuttle orbiter and Hubble take to finish? I have Apollo but I might start with one of the smaller ones before that because it is so big and it looks complex

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
These images are from another movie/dvd site which also has a Lego thread...

1647011653715.png

1647011688896.png

The Hogwart's Castle and grounds is a fan built set that's a *huge* (~25,000 bricks) addition to the standard, retail, Hogwart's Castle model (seen on the left in the build).

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
How long did the Apollo and the shuttle orbiter and Hubble take to finish? I have Apollo but I might start with one of the smaller ones before that because it is so big and it looks complex
The Apollo rocket took me roughly 6 hours to build.

The Space Shuttle (with Hubble telescope) took about 8 hours to build.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
These images are from another movie/dvd site which also has a Lego thread...

View attachment 130634

View attachment 130635
The Hogwart's Castle and grounds is a fan built set that's a *huge* (~25,000 bricks) addition to the standard, retail, Hogwart's Castle model (seen on the left in the build).

I have never done anything like this, though I would like to try to build a Space Shuttle to the scale of the minifigures. One of the main problems for me is that I don't have a Lego store that is close to where I live where I can select individual pieces instead of buying sets.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have never done anything like this, though I would like to try to build a Space Shuttle to the scale of the minifigures. One of the main problems for me is that I don't have a Lego store that is close to where I live where I can select individual pieces instead of buying sets.
You can purchase individual pieces directly from Lego.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Apollo rocket took me roughly 6 hours to build.

The Space Shuttle (with Hubble telescope) took about 8 hours to build.
I just ordered the set for the shuttle and Hubble I’m looking forward to building it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never cared for legos as a kid for a toy since they pretty much would fall apart if you tried to do anything with them.

I did get the Seinfeld set for Christmas and built that in a few days.
Looks good and I like the set but now I don’t know what to do with it.

Wife bought me the Central Perk set a few weeks ago but I haven’t started that one yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately I haven’t had time to work on it further. I got it for my birthday last Fall. meant to work it this Winter. I got started a couple weeks ago, and then life got busy. So, it’s becoming a Spring project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks