Any knowledge of McCormack MAP preamp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobH, Mar 3, 2003.

1. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody bought one or seen one or know anything about McCormack in general? Build quality, analog quality? They're now owned by Conrad Johnson which is a good sign . . .

2. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I've owned / own a couple of McCormack pieces. I still have the Digital Drive SST-1 transport. One of the best transports ever. I also had the Digital Drive DAC-1 which was, in 1996 a Stereophile Class C DAC. Still sounds quite good, but I really like my Channel Islands Audio VDA-1 better. At any rate, build quality is excellent. Their TLC and ALD preamps were very highly regarded and their DNA amps are supposed to be excellent. However, as you mention I believe that Steve McCormack is no longer involved and is off doing something else. He's available by email to discuss some of the older stuff and actually still does upgrades to the amps and pre's. His site is http://www.smcaudio.com/ and he's quite friendly and helpful. I've been dealing with a pretty serious bout of upgradeitis lately and one piece that is very secure and going nowhere for a long time is that SST-1 transport. It's great! Good luck.