Any kayaker/canoers out there??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I just spent a week fishing and biking in the north woods and the couple in the cabin next to ours had a beautiful pair of small canoes that a family member had made for them. I really liked them because of their small size (maybe 8' - 10' in length), they seemed really portable.

I've always been interested in taking up kayaking/canoeing as a hobby and building your own, sounds like a cool way to do it. Anyone ever build their own? Being a noob, however, I'd probably want to buy a beginner canoe. Any suggestions?

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Dave,

I've been kayaking for a couple of years now and have canoeing for a very long time. It's great fun, and a wonderful way for me to get out of the house and take in some peace and quiet.

If you're looking for something small but stable, I'd pick a recreational kayak.

Here is a good informational website to check out:

paddling.net

Here is a decent kayak manufacturer:

kayaker.com

And yes, you can make your own!

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Dave,
    I just got back yesterday from a 3 day trip up in Ladysmith. Went down the Flambeau River. They have campsites along the river. Great trip with rapids. If you ever get a chance to go up there do it. Just go with some people that have experience canoeing. We did it last year also..it was about 22 mile trip. You can do short/long trips depending on what your plans are. Here is a link to some info: http://www.pricecountywi.net/canoe%2.../flambeau.html

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks for the info guys.

Chad, I was just up in Price county! [​IMG] Phillips, to be exact. I'm not sure I'm prepared for canoeing rapids at this point.. just looking for something I can throw a fishing pole in or maybe paddle the 4yr old around in.

Here is a free set of plans for a simple plywood canoe... it looks pretty easy to build.. although I've never worked with fiberglass tape and epoxy resin. I'm sure it'll fall pretty low on the WAF scale.. anything that involves sawdust and space in the garage usually does. [​IMG]

BTW: nearly burned down our cabin on Solberg lake.. let me tell ya, bike helmets are really flammable when set on a gas stove with the burner left on!

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

6. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    It's hard to build your own that ends up beating a commercially built boat in terms of weight.

I picked up an Old Town "Pack" this summer with the "Angler" mods. This is a 12' canoe that tips the scales at 33 lbs (15 Kg). It's pretty nimble when paddled with a long kayak double-ended paddle.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The weight of a wooden kayak has a lot depending on the maker of the canoe/kayak as one can use a lot of epoxy and gelcoat or one can use very little. One makes the canoe/kayak strong and heavier and the other makes the canoe/kayak lightweight but a bit more fragile. Wood, in itself is pretty light and a same length kayak in wood is probably going to be lighter than the same length fiberglass kayak. I'm sure there are wooden canoe clubs out there on the net that will have loads of resources and companies to talk to. If you can swing yourself over to a canoe paddlesports show, that would be great cause then you will be able to talk to a rep who would be an expert in assisting you in telling you how hard it is, what tools and stuff you need and tips.

Kits for wooden sea kayaks are a lot less than a fiberglass kayak prebuilt and bought off the shelf and what is nice is that you can go really custom and make custom inlaid designs and stuff if so choose to. It's up to you but you will need patience, space and time.

Jay