Any John Mayer fans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete_S, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

John Mayer's self-released debut album from 1999 is finally seeing wide release, and it'll ship August 9th. Every song is completely acoustic but one. You can preorder it for $12 plus shipping right here. According to the site, it'll only be available online (presumably at this site only?) and at select shows.
    This is the same album that has been selling for $150-200 on ebay (a ton of people are trying to unload it now), though according to the track listing the instrumental version of Neon (called Neon 12:47am) isn't included. I suppose the song didn't fit with the overall flow of the album, but it would've been nice to see it included anyway.
    Oh, and I must say, if you like the songs on Room for Squares, you should love their acoustic counterparts here. I did manage to hear the songs (in less than stellar quality), and ever since I've hated Sony Music for thinking that full-band versions of Mayer's songs were necessary for the mainstream audience.

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I liked "Room for Squares". The only problem I have is that he sound SO MUCH like Dave Matthews.

3. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I don't think so, I hate DMB and like John Mayer.

4. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, same here. There's something about Dave Matthews's voice I just can't stand, but I think John Mayer is great.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

In the latest Acoustic Guitar (I think, it might be another acoustic guitar mag) John Mayer goes out to say that Dave Matthews has a huge influence on him and the way he plays. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he could usually hear a song and play along immediately, but when he heard "Satellite" he was awed not just by the song, but how it was that Dave even crafted the melody of the guitar and the vocals - it was nothing like he had heard before. He also mentions that people occasionally bring up that he sounds a little Dave Matthews-ish and he admits it because he was such a huge influence.

As a big fan of both (saw John play with my favorite solo artist Glen Phillips - formerly of Toad the Wet Sprocket) I can hear the similarities. But I don't think John necessarily sounds like Dave or is a Dave ripoff (unlike say Creed - otherwise known as Pearl Jam v.2) - just inspired by him. There's nothing wrong with that, we all have to be inspired by someone, right?

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, I don't think he's trying to rip off Dave Matthews, I just think that his voice is VERY similar. They music is different enough that it really doesn't matter.

7. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

john is playing a show in central park tonight in nyc... check it out-
    p

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

9. Derek S

Derek S Stunt Coordinator

if anyone here wants to trade some shows, i have a few bootleg mayer shows, the guy is sweet. his guitar playing is pretty weird, like dave matthews. here is my list if you have anything to trade, or you can send me blank cd's and i will burn the shows for ya.
    www.bootleglists.com/lists/banky41
    (john mayer allows taping of his shows)
    Peace
    email me at [email protected]
    D

10. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

IMHO, John Mayer does not sound like Dave Matthews. I bet if you listen to John and Dave the same time, you can tell who is who. Creed does not sound like Pearl Jam, but Creed sucks big time.

11. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Check out John Mayer- channeling other musicians on Kazaa. He does a good DMB empression.