Any John Hiatt fans out there??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chet_F, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Havn't been around in a while so I hope everyone's summer is going well.[​IMG]
    I'd like to get some John Hiatt CDs but don't know where to start. Where do I start? Thanks!!

Chet

2. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I believe I've heard "Bring the Family" is supposed to be a really good one, and I believe it was just done on DVD-Audio and released or very soon to be released.

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Bring the Family, Bring the Family, Bring the Family.

Great album! Go get it if you ain't got it.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the SACD for a while. Great album.

5. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Bring the Family seems to be everyone's favorite, and it's a good one. I don't have Slow Turning or Stolen Moments, but they are highly praised as well. My personal faves are Perfectly Good Guitar, Walk On, and Crossing Muddy Waters. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

6. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

On Perfectly Good Guitar be sure to give 'The Wreck of the Barbie Ferrari' a careful listen.

Crossing Muddy Waters is very good, but Walk On has 'Ethylene'.

Ahh, hell, just get 'em all, you won't be disappointed!

Tom

Bring The Family (Hybrid SACD) is only $13.97 at
    Deep Discount CD

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Definitely agree - while I don't have the complete catalog, all 5 I own have a number of gems. The more you listen and read, the more subliminal meanings come out of each song. Just don't know what you'll "hear" the next time you listen to any particular song.

Went to see a Suzy Bogguss concert (she had a country-hit covering "Drive South") and she chatted Hiatt up and down as the king of "euphemisms". Pretty good praise from someone that grew up writing songs with the likes of Steve Goodman, John Prine, etc... It's difficult finding a respected artist that has NOT covered a John Hiatt song... he is everywhere !

My personal fave is Slow Turning, but don't have Bring the Family (next on my list).

Recently had front row tix to a solo acoustic set he was performing at a local pub. Missed it due to a business trip ! Was totally depressed the entire trip....

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Definitely "In the John" here--that's the name of his fan club and a typical indicator of this man's wit.

A reviewer once joked that if you missed a particular good John Hiatt album, just wait a little bit: another will be right along.

I have the lion's share of his post-1987/post-alcoholic/post-marital-break-up output and IMO it's all good. I'm quite partial to Stolen Moments (1990). "These days the only bar I ever see/Has got lettuce and tomatoes." I wanna go back and grip his 1975-early 80s output, such as Riding With the King. Have read rave reviews of Crossing Muddy Waters and it's on my always-long list of stuff to get.

His songwriting is so strong, I highly recommend you man up, skip the greatest hits packages and slowly but surely treat yourself to buying close to all of his stuff in chronological order.

Check Amazon Marketplace for MoFi Ultradiscs of Riding With the King and Slow Turning (which includes J.H. liner notes commentary on each song that was not included in the original release). There's an Ultra of Bring the Family also, but I'd pick up the SACD or DVD-A of this fine album over it. I'm all about J.H.'s vocal perf on the stunner "Have A Little Faith In Me." Make sure to check out his 1994 live album too, Hiatt Comes Alive At Budokan? I agree with many reviewers who found 1992's Little Village to be a surprising disappointment. On paper it sure looks stellar: Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, Jim Keltner and J.H. (basically a reuniting of the band he played with on Bring the Family). But there's only a couple of strong tunes on there IMO.

Does anyone have the Telarc Hiatt tribute, Rollin' Into Memphis?

-p

9. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Definitely start with Bring the Family, then Slow Turning and Walk On. And I just want to give a good word to the as-yet-unmentioned Little Head.

10. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    Yup, I would just start at "Bring the Family" and keep going in chronological order. I love his older stuff too, but the tone he set with BTF carrys on thru most of the his later work, and "Crossing Muddy Waters" is just a masterpiece of solo (mostly solo anyway) acoustic work. He really uses his voice as an instrument, not just to spout lyrics.

I'll be seeing Mr. Hiatt next Monday at the Roxy in Atlanta (haven't missed one of his shows there in a few years now), and it's general admission, so I'll be front/center as usual. He has the best on-stage chatter of anyone I've ever seen, it's usually pretty hilarious. If you do go to one of his shows, make sure to stick around afterwards as he usually hangs out and chats and signs autographs. Heck, his tour manager even invited everyone inside a couple of years ago when we were standing outside the back door waiting and it was cold out (for Atlanta, anyway). Last time, I had a poster for him to sign and I was walking up to the theater a couple hours before the show, and he just happened to come out the back door and head to his bus. I asked him if he could sign my poster (wanted to put it back in the car and not have to take it into the show), and he said he would, but he wanted to get his sunglasses first. He promptly came right back out and personalized the signature and asked me a few questions and and answered mine and was as cordial as usual.

Sorry to prattle on, but needless to say, I'm a big fan.[​IMG]

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    All the albums mentioned are worth your time. I'd start with Bring the Family and Slow Turning, his '80s classics. Then I'd get Perfectly Good Guitar and Walk On, his '90s classics. Perfectly Good Guitar is one of the best rock and roll albums of the 1990s, by anyone.

Crossing Muddy Waters (2000) is great, and so is The Tiki Bar Is Open (2001), which is one of his most recent best. Love the Tiki Bar; great stuff.

Little Head (1997) is full of great stuff (but sadly, doesn't come with lyrics).

There are a few hits collections out there; the best is The Best of John Hiatt (1998).

His most recent album is Beneath This Gruff Exterior, which is good, but you'll want all the above albums first.

And if he comes to your town, go see him. Never seen a bad John Hiatt show.

12. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Bring the Family is one of my favortie cds of anyone.

Aside from that one, the other A&M ones are great and would highly recommend getting Greatest Hits (A&M Years)

While it doesn't cover as much territory as some other collections, it's a worthy best of his best years.

The pre Family stuff is surprisingly different and not as strong. He definetely got into a good groove with that album. His more recent ones have rocked a little more. 2001's The Tiki bar is Open is pretty good (the title song is great in particular).

13. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Picked up Bring The Family today. I'm definately enjoying it. I'll have to listen to it a few more times to get a good feel. So far Stood Up, Learning How TO Love You, and Have A Little Haith In Me all stand out. I think I'll pick up Crossing Muddy Waters next as I like acoustic work. Most of what I have heard of him is his live performances that seem a lot more stripped down. I think he sounds best alone with his guitar.

Thanks for ALL of your guys help!![​IMG]

Chet

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    How ironic: Chet, I just noticed that you're in Tennessee. Hopefully the sly charms of "Memphis In the Meantime" will appeal to you and hit close to home! [​IMG]

"Right now I need a Telecaster through a Vibralux turned up to 10,"
    -p

15. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I have found myself recently listening to Crossing Muddy Waters a lot and everytime enjoy it more and more just a great cd. I also like to listen to live cds and find that Comes Alive At Budokans is much better then any of his greatest hits cds.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Don't forget the soundtrack to "The Country Bears." [​IMG]

17. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    Chet, if you like his stripped down acoustic sound, then you will LOVE "Crossing Muddy Waters".

I was just thinking of "Slow Turning" and how many great songs are on that one, too, though. The title song, "Drive South", "Georgia Rae", and two of my favorite songs about the plight of the redneck, "Trudy and Dave", and "Tennessee Plates". Overall, I'd have to say that it's still my favorite JH album, and it was my first, too. Every song on there is strong.

18. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Aaron Neville does a decent cover of It Feels Like Rain from Slow Turning.

I think we should start a thread with all the John Hiatt songs made famous by other people.

19. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Buddy Guy's Feels Like Rain is better.

20. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Which Buddy Guy album ?