What's new

Any job recommendations for 16 yr old? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I did what Don did, sort of. I started earilier though with the qualifications, I had my Bronze Medallion at 13. Then at 15 turning 16 I did the bronze cross and the swimming instructor courses. Was hired on at the local indoor pool and took my NLS (I guess it LS or LSS now) shortly after that.

The hours where perfect for a high school job. Lessons after school and Sat morning; evening guard shifts (afternoon and evening on weekends). Then during the summer when I had time to work more there were morning lessons and afternoon guard shifts during the week.

I worked there from Jan of my grade 10 year straight through till the end of the summer after I completed grade 12.

The best part was I had saved up $16,000 over that period which allowed me to buy a house where I was going to college. Roommates rent checks payed the mortgage. Now I'm done school and when I move I'll get all of my downpayment back plus some extra (house is worth more now).

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you have an old folk's home or assisted living place near you, but a lot of people at my school work at the restaurant at Oakcrest Village, which is an assisted living place. My suggestion would be to make like me and hold off joining the work force as long as you can. You've got your whole life to toil for the man, enjoy some freedom while you can. Of course, I know nothing about your financial situation, but that's my suggestion.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Get a job somewhere like Best Buy or Circuit City. Since you know something about OAR and home theater, you could actually help explain things to J6P's on the front line of the battle! :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what's your interests? that'll help find some target jobs. i like matt's idea of trying to find a job that'll serve you down the line.
otherwise, if you're just looking for some summer fling, i'd recommend working in a grocery store. that was my first job and was totally cool - got to learn a lot about how to interact with adults and learn some responsibility.
i worked there until i graduated. of course, i did eventually get fired for eating a yogurt i didn't pay for... :b what was that i was just babbling about...responsibility? :D
otherwise somewhere where you can get discounts is always good. clothing stores kind of suck because you're constantly folding clothes. how about a record store?

Adam_Garris

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and filled out the application on UPS's site. If nothing comes about with that, I will check out the local golf courses to see what they have available. As far as I'm concerned though...

Getting paid + free workout = good deal.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah...one more thing to consider.

once you get into a particular type of job, it tends to be what you'll lean towards for the rest of your career choices. maybe not so much at a young age, but something to consider.

so, a labor intensive job now may be what you'll lean towards later in life.

of course, there's no absolutes. just a side-note...

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Yardwork, yardwork, yardwork.
Get a tan, get some muscles and get paid...plus it'll be good practice for your future home.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
My first job was at a small hardware store. That was a good place to work, I learned about plumbing, electrical, etc. The store I worked in was tiny and a mess, so we helped just about every person that came in the door. People would come in, tell me what they were working on and what they needed to buy. Thus I ended up learning all sorts of strange little things. Sometime the most important thing you need to know when fixing a problem in your house or on your car or whatever is if there is a tool for the job.

The major downside to the small stores is that they don't pay very well, the upside is you get involved with everything.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to all who replied. I went ahead and filled out the application on UPS's site. If nothing comes about with that, I will check out the local golf courses to see what they have available. As far as I'm concerned though...
Getting paid + free workout = good deal.
sweet deal :D hope it works out for you!
besides, there's nothing to teach you the value of an education like manual labor ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks