What's new

Any Jim Croce fans out there?? (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I guess I on a new music binge. I saw him live on PBS tonight and really enjoy him live. I've recognized a few of his songs. Any recommendations on live or best of CDs?

Thanks,:D
Chet

Mark Rapp

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I really liked him, way back when (showing my age)... I bought the Jim Croce Live (Have You Heard) DVD when it came out, but haven't had time to actually see it yet. If you really want to go back in time, see if you can find a CD when he sang with his wife, Ingrid.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I like Jim Croce due to my mom and dad listening to him. Photographs and Memories(not sure of the exact title) would be a good place to start with his greatest hits.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately for us, there is not a huge amount of Croce material out there. Most is re-releases of the same material in different order.

I was 13 when he and his second guitarist Maury Meuhleisen died in the plane crash and now when I listen to the 2 of them playing off against each other I wonder what could have been had the accident not occurred. Not a lot of story teller songwriters out there anymore (Harry Chapin is gone too :frowning:)

I agree that Photographs and Memories is probably your best bet.

http://www.jimcroce.com/discography.html

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Yes indeed, Photos And Memories is the best of his single album releases. It does not contain everything, but it is solid all the way through - no weak spots. I've found a pretty reliable source for music reviews: allmusic.com
Enter the artist name and click on discography. They have reviews and a rating system. You won't agree with all of their opinions (I surely do not) but it's a good reference point, and the reviewers have a lot of music knowledge. Dave

If you are ever in San Diego, check out Croce's in the gaslamp section of downtown (his widow owns it I believe). Some great folk type bands play there. Also other types of music - all good stuff.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing him on the TV show Midnight Special in the mid 70s. He was a great performer and really had a nice repour with the audience.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Croce was one talented dude. He was equally adept with funky, bluesy numbers ("Bad, Bad Leroy Brown") and ballads {"Operator"). His music was very accessible, yet still felt authentic (although there was a tendency at times to overproduce, with strings & the like).

He was taken way too young. His plane went down less than 100 miles from where I was living at the time (Bossier City, LA). That was just before my concert-going days started, so I never got a chance to see him live.

The "Photographs & Memories" compilation is very well-chosen, and I consider it essential for anyone with even a passing interest in the singer-songwriter genre. I've owned it on vinyl or CD for some 30 years now, and it still gets played regularly.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have a couple of his albums... Photographs and Memories being one. The other I have is a Mobile Fidelity original master of "You Don't Mess Around with Jim". I listen to the latter quite a bit as it sound so good.

Ahhh vinyl...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks