Any Jaguar(fish) owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I just got this fish in september.She is about 12" long right now,beautiful fish,mean as hell though.

Anyway,lately she has been warming up to me,she comes to the top of her tank when I come over to look at her or to feed her.Well,Tonight I leaned down to watch her eat,just like I have done before and like I always do with my oscars.Well,she jumped about a foot out of the water and bit my upper lip...it hurts

AND YES,IT DREW BLOOD..this time,she bit me once before on my hand when I was moving rocks but there was no damage.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

LOL
    I can't believe it.
    Have you tried to explain to people out on the street, etc, that the mark is from your fish biting you?
    Are you sure she didn't bite you because you were warming up to her?
    come on now, we know you love the sm.......I'll stop right there!!! [​IMG]

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm sorry Chad, but I laughed and laughed...

You may just have to face the fact that your fish is highly territorial and just hates to have anyone or anything mucking about in her tank. Or maybe she thought you were trying to steal her food. You'll just have to wear body armor and a hockey face mask whenever you get near her.

5. Chad Isaacs

Well,a friend of mine told me to flush it..I said,hell no,knowing my luck it would swim back up and bite me on the ass....plus its too big and would clog the sucker up.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

So while it doesn't have a laser beam on its head, you could say it was ill-tempered?

This sounds like a neat fish, do you have any pictures?

7. Chad Isaacs

No,I wish I did

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Fish are relatively complex creatures. I breed Betta fish, and all my fishies have their own temperments. Vixen the yellow breeder female is highstrung; she's jumped out of her bowl a few times. Erik the Red (The Laziest Betta Fish Known To Man) is lazy; when he was in a community tank for a while, he actually staked out a plastic plant, and would lounge in it; he'd coil himself up in some of the branches, and look around. In a different tank, he staked out a flat rock; he'd lie on his side, bend his body up a bit, and look around.

Baby fish learn about a month in what the various food bottles hold, and get all excited. And somewhere around a month, they'll come look at you when you're looking at them.

BTW, I've got some yellow females about ready to leave the brooding tank if anybody wants one. :)

Oh, and my adult females actually beg for food. They'll come to the front of their bowls, swim up and down, stare at you, go to the water surface, make some eating motions, then come back and stare at you some more, swiming up and down the while. It's quite humourous to watch. Vixen eats more than two males combined, and puts on her 'I'm starving!' display.

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Hey Chad, is this your fish here? It calls it a 'jaguar chiclid' and says it's very aggressive and territorial. (But hey, you already knew that [​IMG] )