any interference issues with putting ALL wires through hole on shelf of audio rack?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Todd smith, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Apr 2, 2002
    Just wondering if it is o.k to put wires (speaker wires, connection wires, power wires, etc...) through the organization holes on the back part of the shelf in my enterrainment rack. I know this is what the holes are for, but is there any possibillity of interference with grouping speaker wires and other audio wires together to put through this hole to keep them tidy? Or would it be best to leave it a little messy and not group the wires together? I dont want any chance of interference and therefore sound degrade. Maybe a stupid question, but hey I am concerned about this for some reason. Thanks for the help.
  2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    In the vast majority of situations, there shouldn't be noticable interferance between signal and speaker wires.

There also shouldn't be interfearance between analog and digital signal wires.

On the other hand, it is recommended to
    a) keep power lines as far from signal lines as is reasonably possible, and
    b) when power is near signal, to cross at a 90° angle, and not run parallel to the signal wires.

Thus, in answer to your query, 'it depends.'

Of course, even in the pro world, there is no true standard as to which side of the box has the power supply. I recently wired up a rack like this, running power up and down the sides, and adding a tie-bar vertically down the middle of the back...

Leo Kerr