Any interest in custom hardwood spkr stands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Aug 21, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

My Dad and I just finished up some solid cherry speaker stands for my new Boston bookshelves. Filled with 50lbs each of Lowe's "playsand", these girls weigh in around 75lbs each. Would there be a market, even a small one, for custom hardwood stands like these? Is there already a market? What are they selling for? Thanks!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Any pics to show?

3. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

4. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

My guess is that what you'll run into in a market like that is a small group of enthusiasts who are looking for really good custom stands not TOO far above cost. Keep in mind that the people who would be interested would not be easily fooled and would not pay much more than cost for the stands... otherwise they'd probably attempt it themselves or buy some pre-fabed stands.

5. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

I am not really interested in buying any but I am hoping to start construction on my own sometime soon. I would be interested in some pics. I hope to make mine out of some walnut that my dad has purchased. My wife won't let me mount my speakers to the wall in our new house. So, before I can set up my surround sound I have to get speaker stands built. I can only watch Billy Madison DVDs for so long before I have to watch LOTR again.

Doug

6. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I don't have access to a scanner for any pics. We basically built a rectangular box about 26" tall, and put a square base and top on the ends using 3/4" cherry. The column was 7.5x9 inches, with the base being 11x14 and the top was 9x12. We routed the bottom edge of the top and the top edge of the base to "fancy" it up a little. By doing it that way I had a flat surface for the speakers and a solid foundation for the stands. We also routed three channels in each of the "faces" of the column to add a little character. We used wood glue and a nail gun to construct the column, and attached the base and top with glue and screws, since the weight was going to be so much with the sand. I sealed the inside with silicon and then applied stain and finish. Once dry, we filled with Lowe's play sand (50lbs each stand) and attached the tops. Let me know if I can help!

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I build speakers and have sold some and have been thinking about designing a stand and having that option available. I'd use MDF veneered with oak or maple or mahogony, maybe rosewood. I don't know if I could make a decent margin - maybe not, since stands would be perceived as a simple, cheap-to-build product, unlike a speaker. You'd need to design them as K.D. (knock-down) to minimize shipping box size.