What's new

Any Input on my Layout b/4 Construction (1 Viewer)

mrkplatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I'm going to start the construction of my HT Room in a couple weeks (Feb 15). I'm attaching my layout. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm running power, two sets of speaker wire and Cat 5 to each speaker location and of course HDMI to Projector. All components will be in a custom cabinet in the rear of the room.

I'm putting in Berkline 83 seats (I like the covertable sofa) with total of 10-seats and 8-ButtKickers

Plan on a Knoll 1080p projector, Denon AVR3808, Polk Monitor speakers.

More concerned about geometry. I'm making compromises on geometry to accomidate room shape and two rows of seats. Just want to be sure I don't have any regrets about not doing something now I should have done later.

I read the "What I Wish I Would Have Done Differently" thread and it was a great resource.

THANKS!

Mark

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would scoot the seating back some more. The 1st row appears to be only about 5 feet from main speakers that are 12 feet apart. It's going to be near impossible to recreate a believable soundstage. I think you will find that arrangement will lead to way to much separation. IMO

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I'd agree with the above...move the seating back a bit. Your front row is about 7 feet in front of the surrounds, and that should probably be more like 3 feet. Your back speakers might want to be wider, more like 8 feet.

It may be that you will want to move your L and R speakers closer to the screen. Having them sit 5 feet from it may "disconnect" the sound from the image. However, you also don't want them sitting way back in that "tunnel" at the top of the image.

I don't see indications for windows...so I may be talking through my hat, but here's a wild idea. Maybe you'd want to turn the room completely around?? that would give you a nice big 18-foot wide wall for the screen and front speakers. That niche at the top could be a little game area, a snack bar, or whatever. Just a thought...

mrkplatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the input. Do you think this is better? I've been struggling a bit with the "tunnel" in the back of the room and which way the layout would work best.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I like your second picture...but only because it was my idea! :)

Only you can answer the question about how you will use the room, but to me that second choice would "flow" better. It does remove the "stage" feel of the screen in the alcove, but my guess is that the screen would be too far away in that position.

The second choice gives you plenty of options for that alcove. If the ceiling is high enough, you could have another step up and have a dining area, where seated eaters can still see the screen. Or you could put tall stools at bartop height tables there. Or leave it for a foosball table or the like.

Go for it! Let us know how it comes out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks